Andy Pettitte had better watch his move tonight

Oct 18, 2010, 9:48 AM EDT

New York Yankees starter Pettitte pitches to the Minnesota Twins during the first inning of Game 2 of their MLB ALDS baseball playoffs in Minneapolis

Buster Olney makes a great point today: Andy Pettitte has been called for 11 balks in his career. Three of those were called by Angel Hernandez, who obviously doesn’t think that Pettitte’s awesome move to first is so awesome. Or maybe it’s too awesome. I don’t know.  The point, though: Angel Hernandez is umping first base tonight.

It was a long time ago — maybe 1997 or 1998 — but I remember an ESPN game in which someone made a point to break down Pettitte’s move to first base. It’s pretty spectacular, and I’m not sure how Hernandez calls it as a balk more than others do. Maybe he just caught Pettitte on bad days. Maybe Hernandez just isn’t much of an ump.

1. nps6724 - Oct 18, 2010 at 9:50 AM

Angel Hernandez is a douche.

2. Jonny 5 - Oct 18, 2010 at 9:58 AM

Is it a balk, or is it not? If it is not, why does A.H. still have a job as a major league Ump? Oh, that’s right….. no accountability, and an F U attitude. But I guess it’s ok for them to do, since Bud does NOTHING about it.

3. Kevin S. - Oct 18, 2010 at 9:58 AM

To be honest, I can never tell if Andy is balking or not. Regardless of that, Angel Hernandez is not much of an ump.

4. woodsmeister - Oct 18, 2010 at 10:04 AM

I would dance with joy if they called Pettite for a balk on his balk move. Just like I do whenever they call Buehrle.

5. Lincoln93 - Oct 18, 2010 at 10:33 AM

I’m going to go with “Hernandez just isn’t much of an ump.”

It amazes me he’s umping a play off game.

• pisano - Oct 18, 2010 at 12:30 PM

Ditto , the guys a horrible umpire . It’s like he’s looking for something to be criticized about .

6. Detroit Michael - Oct 18, 2010 at 10:50 AM

I’m going with “the balk rule isn’t much of a rule.”

7. pisano - Oct 18, 2010 at 12:27 PM

With the awful catchers the Yankees have Pettitte will have to get as close to a balk as he can. Posada and Cervelli are horrible and both should be replaced before next year.

8. blueyankee1 - Oct 18, 2010 at 2:10 PM

I agree with last comment. Put Posada at DH next year and bring up another catcher.

9. Adam - Oct 18, 2010 at 3:37 PM

I’m going to go with Angel Hernandez is the only umpire with enough balls to call a balk on a New York Yankee pitcher with a pedigree. Every time Pettitte throws to first he balks, he and Buehrle are ridiculous.

Colby-on-Colby crime in Toronto