Oct 18, 2010, 9:48 AM EDT
Buster Olney makes a great point today: Andy Pettitte has been called for 11 balks in his career. Three of those were called by Angel Hernandez, who obviously doesn’t think that Pettitte’s awesome move to first is so awesome. Or maybe it’s too awesome. I don’t know. The point, though: Angel Hernandez is umping first base tonight.
It was a long time ago — maybe 1997 or 1998 — but I remember an ESPN game in which someone made a point to break down Pettitte’s move to first base. It’s pretty spectacular, and I’m not sure how Hernandez calls it as a balk more than others do. Maybe he just caught Pettitte on bad days. Maybe Hernandez just isn’t much of an ump.
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 0
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 8
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 23
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 17
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 23
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 43
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 11
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (264)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)