Jeff Francoeur: Andy Pettitte-killer

Oct 18, 2010, 3:10 PM EDT

As we sit around and wait for the game to start — really, besides the Eric Wedge thing, it’s all waiting right now — let’s look at the oddest stat you’ll see today: Jeff Francoeur: career OPS 0f 1.144 against Andy Pettitte.

That courtesy of Jamey Newberg. Granted, it’s only 11 plate appearances, but I didn’t think Frenchie could get even that in a small sample side against a guy like Pettitte, even if he is a lefty.

In other news, I think this appreciation of Jeff Francoeuer may be unironic. Which is frankly scary. Warning: lots of “F-words” there.

1. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Oct 18, 2010 at 3:35 PM

Craig, what will you do when Frenchie becomes the World Series MVP in a few weeks?I know what I’ll do, I’ve already got the bridge picked out and everything.

• Jonny 5 - Oct 18, 2010 at 3:56 PM

Isn’t this just more proof God really, really hates the Braves??? Besides him posting it here and all….

• Utley's Hair - Oct 18, 2010 at 4:00 PM

I’ve noticed God has hijacked your account before, so he could say just that.

• Jonny 5 - Oct 18, 2010 at 4:09 PM

I let him use it as a favor. I’m sort of his hmm? scribe? Yeah, scibe. See his fingers are too big for the keys so I help him out. He’s trying to get Bill Gates to make him a bigger keyboard, but apparently Bill Gates won’t listen to him because he’s an Atheist. It isn’t easy being God these day Ya know??? Hey, at least he isn’t making me chisel this crap out of stone right.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Oct 18, 2010 at 4:19 PM

I think this proves Franceour is, in fact, the Almighty.

• Utley's Hair - Oct 18, 2010 at 5:27 PM

It’s kind of hard to say no to God, what with him being omniscient and omnipotent–or really, omni-omni(?) for that matter. Gates is different, though, since he has more money.

2. madaozeki - Oct 18, 2010 at 4:28 PM

Not sure if I’m reading it wrong or you are, but:

“David Murphy has a 1.144 OPS in 12 plate appearances against Pettitte, but he’ll likely start the game on the bench, ceding the start to the right-handed-hitting Francoeur and his team-leading 1.455 (11 plate appearances).”

Sounds like David Murphy has the 1.144 OPS, while Francoeur has a 1.455 OPS.

But checking BREF, that’s wrong too:
    5 for 8, with a HR and a double, for a .625/.625/1.125 line, which works out to a 1.750 OPS.

• madaozeki - Oct 18, 2010 at 4:34 PM

Check that, the 1.455 includes postseason stats, since he’s gone 1 for 3 in the playoffs vs. Pettite, lowering his line to .545/.545/.909 = 1.455

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5089)