Oct 18, 2010, 12:45 PM EDT
Seattle decided to hire Eric Wedge as its new manager last week, but no official announcement was made because MLB generally frowns on teams overshadowing playoff games with that type of thing.
However, according to Jim Street of MLB.com “the Mariners have received permission from the commissioner’s office to announce the hiring” and could make things official as soon as today, with a press conference slated for tomorrow.
Wedge is expected to get a three-year contract and will likely retain at least one member of the Mariners’ current coach staff in pitching coach Carl Willis, who served as Wedge’s pitching coach for seven years in Cleveland. Wedge had a 561-573 (.495) as the Indians’ manager and was fired after going 65-97 in 2009.
UPDATE: It’s official now.
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (88)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (88)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (80)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (75)