Oct 18, 2010, 11:06 AM EDT
Not every postseason hero gets to stick with their team forever — Francisco Cabrera had a nice moment, but 91 plate appearances after his big hit, he was gone — but Cody “death to inside fastballs” Ross isn’t likely to be one of those short term guys. Brian Sabean tells the Merc that the team is looking to keep the arbitration-eligible Ross after this season.
It helps that, even though Ross is making his national debut in many important ways this week, he’s a decent ballplayer. After a nomadic first few years in the bigs, Ross established himself in Florida, where he showed some nice pop. He doesn’t get on base particularly well, but compared to Aaron Rowand he’s practically Kevin Youkilis in terms of plate discipline. Moreover, given that Andres Torres has probably been playing over his head and given that Pat Burrell has nowhere to go but down, the Giants have to have someone they can rely on in the outfield going forward.
The question, though, is whether Sabean decides to simply do a one year arbitration-avoiding deal on a guy who can probably be counted on for a good year, or if he’s going to take those dingers he hit off Halladay and Oswalt a bit too seriously and think he has a multi-year contract-deserving superstar on his hands in Ross.
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 16
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 9
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 26
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 23
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 35
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 70
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)