Oct 18, 2010, 1:48 PM EDT
John Perrotto of Baseball Prospectus reports that “the Twins have no plans to re-sign Orlando Hudson,” which jibes with what I’ve been told from various people who know about such things.
Outwardly he has a reputation for being a chatty jokester who lightens up a clubhouse, but I’m told he rubbed some people the wrong way in Minnesota and is highly unlikely to be back in 2011 despite giving the Twins more or less the production they should have expected.
Signed to a one-year, $5 million contract in early February, he hit .284/.358/.402 through the end of August before putting together a horrible September. Hudson hit .268/.338/.372 in 126 games overall, which along with solid defense at second base made him a very nice pickup for $5 million, but the Twins may feel they can get 90 percent of the production for 10 percent of the cost in Alexi Casilla. I’m skeptical of Casilla as a full-time player, but it makes some sense.
Hudson projects as a Type B free agent, so it’ll be interesting to see if the Twins offer him the arbitration necessary to receive a compensatory draft pick and also risk him forcing them into another one-year contract by accepting. If he ends up instead ranking as a Type A free agent, Hudson’s deal prohibits the Twins from offering him arbitration. I’d risk him accepting since the draft pick is valuable and the downside of him taking another one-year deal isn’t so bad.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (85)