Oct 18, 2010, 1:17 PM EST
Ellen Massey broke her back when a 300-pound man named Timothy Cassidy fell on her at Shea Stadium on Opening Day of the 2007 season.
Now she’s suing the Mets, claiming the team should be held responsible for her injuries because vendors continued to serve Cassidy beer after he was clearly intoxicated.
Lawyers for the Mets argued before the Manhattan supreme court that Cassidy falling on Massey was “very random and unforeseeable” and also disagreed with the assertion that he was obviously drunk.
Meanwhile, according to Massey’s lawyer Cassidy was slurring his speech, trying to pick fights with other fans, and repeatedly double-fisting beers. Massey suffered a spinal fracture and the New York Daily News‘ article on the lawsuit features a picture of her in a body brace.
I’m thinking this would be a good opportunity for our first ever Hardball Talk reenactment, because we have a lawyer and a 300-pound man. If someone can find us a 61-year-old woman in a back brace and a crappy old ballpark, we’re in business. We’ll supply our own beer.
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 20
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 75
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 48
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 18
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (76)