Oct 18, 2010, 1:17 PM EDT
Ellen Massey broke her back when a 300-pound man named Timothy Cassidy fell on her at Shea Stadium on Opening Day of the 2007 season.
Now she’s suing the Mets, claiming the team should be held responsible for her injuries because vendors continued to serve Cassidy beer after he was clearly intoxicated.
Lawyers for the Mets argued before the Manhattan supreme court that Cassidy falling on Massey was “very random and unforeseeable” and also disagreed with the assertion that he was obviously drunk.
Meanwhile, according to Massey’s lawyer Cassidy was slurring his speech, trying to pick fights with other fans, and repeatedly double-fisting beers. Massey suffered a spinal fracture and the New York Daily News‘ article on the lawsuit features a picture of her in a body brace.
I’m thinking this would be a good opportunity for our first ever Hardball Talk reenactment, because we have a lawyer and a 300-pound man. If someone can find us a 61-year-old woman in a back brace and a crappy old ballpark, we’re in business. We’ll supply our own beer.
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 51
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)