Oct 18, 2010, 10:20 AM EST
Just about every park has a fan who is kind of like a mascot. The guy who either dresses up funny or acts crazy or whatever and eventually comes to be thought of as an institution. The Yankees’ guy was Freddy Schuman, better known as “Freddy Sez,” the octogenarian who held up signs and beat on a frying pan outside — and inside — Yankee Stadium. Freddy Sez died yesterday at 85.
I always wonder how guys like Freddy Sez get their start. I mean, sure, 20 years after he began to bang on the pan it was kind of neat to have him around. But how did that go down on the first day? If a random person just started banging a frying pan at a game in, say, Houston, wouldn’t security make him stop?
Oh well: R.I.P. Freddy Sez.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 73
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)