Yankees fan “Freddy Sez” dies

Oct 18, 2010, 10:20 AM EDT

Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim v New York Yankees Getty Images

Just about every park has a fan who is kind of like a mascot. The guy who either dresses up funny or acts crazy or whatever and eventually comes to be thought of as an institution. The Yankees’ guy was Freddy Schuman, better known as “Freddy Sez,” the octogenarian who held up signs and beat on a frying pan outside — and inside — Yankee Stadium.  Freddy Sez died yesterday at 85.

I always wonder how guys like Freddy Sez get their start. I mean, sure, 20 years after he began to bang on the pan it was kind of neat to have him around. But how did that go down on the first day? If a random person just started banging a frying pan at a game in, say, Houston, wouldn’t security make him stop?

Oh well: R.I.P. Freddy Sez.

1. Jonny 5 - Oct 18, 2010 at 10:27 AM

I’d pay at least a grand for that frying pan. Then I’d cook Philly cheesesteaks in it while I tailgate. Sacrilege can be sooooo satisfying..

2. Chris Fiorentino - Oct 18, 2010 at 10:57 AM

As much as I hate the Yankers, I love a story like this. I never heard for Freddy Sez before, but anybody as true a fan as him has my respect. He didn’t care what anybody said about him. He loved his team and went out supporting them. At 85, he was at Game 3 of the ALDS? Wow. I hope I am still going to whatever park the Phillies are playing in when I am 85. That’s a freaking fan.

• wonkypenguin - Oct 18, 2010 at 12:53 PM

Seconded.

3. pandaclaus - Oct 18, 2010 at 11:04 AM

That guy had exceptional penmanship for his age.

I’ve probably heard the name Freddy Sez before, but never realized to whom it was referring. It’s always touching to see faithful long-time fans like Freddy pass on, but I’d be surprised if we didn’t see 100 Freddy-inspired copycats at the next Yankees’ home game.

4. innocentbystander0 - Oct 18, 2010 at 1:20 PM

Maybe I’m too judgmental, but the thing I always wondered about Freddy was how he could afford season tickets? Do the Yankees subsidize him because they realize he is part of the stadium experience?

Three legends off to Cooperstown