Breaking: Pete Rose is sorry

Oct 19, 2010, 5:27 PM EDT

Rose horizontal

Pete Rose pops up every couple of months to say this, and far be it from me to ignore it when he says it again:

“I think anybody that knows me knows that I’m very sorry. I understand the mistakes I made. There’s some people that will never give you a second opportunity. That’s fine. I can understand they feel that way.”

That comes in an interview with the Associated Press.  You’ll be surprised to learn that these comments come just in time for a documentary about Rose’s life and times, premiering on Friday.

I’m not sure why people keep asking him about this stuff. While Rose lied his head off for years, I don’t think there’s much else he can do now to show that he’s sorry. Nor should we expect him to. Nor should we feel obligated to do anything for him even if he has shown contrition. He’s just, I don’t know, any other ex-player now. I’m surprised he still gets the attention he does.

1. Old Gator - Oct 19, 2010 at 5:42 PM

Yep. Just another ex-alltime hits leader. Yawn.

2. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Oct 19, 2010 at 5:47 PM

Karma police! Arrest this man!

3. JBerardi - Oct 19, 2010 at 6:08 PM

“There’s some people that will never give you a second opportunity. That’s fine. I can understand they feel that way.”

Ah, see, it turns out that Pete Rose is the real victim here! Just like… well, every single other athlete or celebrity that’s ever done anything wrong.

4. 013hip - Oct 19, 2010 at 6:17 PM

Oh my God…. he “LIED” I mean it’s not like Bonds, Sosa, Clemens or McGuire ever lied!!!!

• JBerardi - Oct 19, 2010 at 6:35 PM

I fail to see how any one else’s bad behavior excuses Rose’s.

5. Richard In Big D - Oct 19, 2010 at 6:20 PM

Any other ex-player? Are you f-ing kidding me? Without a doubt, the most exciting AND disappointing player of my lifetime is what he REALLY is. I only hope to outlive him, so that I can see his plaque in Cooperstown someday, but NOT while he’s alive.

6. Dug - Oct 19, 2010 at 6:39 PM

Pete Rose is sorry alright. Just not in the way he professes. Anyone else think he is sorry so that he can get into the HOF before he dies? His hubris is only exceeded in size by his ego.

7. manneestm - Oct 19, 2010 at 7:33 PM

Prove to me what game (I won’t bother inserting an “s”) he bet on he also did anything to change to games results because he bet on it.

I’m so tired of seeing all the babies crying about his betting, unless you can show the world the one thing that would ever convince the people that are still waiting for evidence his bets changed the results shut the F up. He always had more love and passion for the game then jerks like A-Rod will ever have, A-Rod wants one thing and that’s a big check and all the glory for HIMSELF nothing else.

He should have gone into the HOF years ago!!!

• ditto65 - Oct 19, 2010 at 7:58 PM

Apparently money means nothing to Pete Rose. Made obvious by the amount of money he loses gambling. Your comparison of Rose and A-Rod is totally subjective and really irrelevant. Pete Rose broke the rules. Pete Rose lied about breaking the rules. Pete Rose is now sorry for lying – right before his new book came out. Sheesh.

• JBerardi - Oct 19, 2010 at 8:03 PM

The rule is, you don’t be on baseball. Period. Not, “don’t bet on baseball, unless it doesn’t effect the outcome of the game”. Very simple rule, very easy to understand. If you think it’s a bad rule, fine, but for better or worse, MLB considers gambling on games to be it’s cardinal sin. Rose certainly knew that. He bet anyway. He got caught, and now he has to live with the consequences. Buy the ticket, take the ride. Love, passion, and jerks like A-Rod don’t count for squat in this equation.

• Glenn - Oct 20, 2010 at 10:38 PM

Do we really need to repeat here that any manager who bets on his team is betting against them whenever he doesn’t bet on them! I think baseball has one rule that can ban you for life and erase any chance for the hall of fame. It is posted in every dugout and locker room in baseball. Pete ignored that and is sorry … that he got caught. Shame on baseball for overlooking it for so long when he was making money for them, but it doesn’t change his crimes.

8. txrbt - Oct 19, 2010 at 8:31 PM

Baseball is like a spiteful old man – no wonder less and less people follow it. Rose is/was/always pure jerk but he had 4,000 hit. 4,000 hits. Everyone in the HOF who played in that era is diminished by the absence of his admission. But what can be expected from an organization so stoneage as to take away a perfect game from a young man when everyone agrees it was a bad call? I understand the baseball purist’s point of view but at some point it become lunancy.

• JBerardi - Oct 19, 2010 at 8:51 PM

Again, none of this crap matters. You’re not allowed to bet on baseball. Period. End of story. It doesn’t matter if you have 8000 hits, 1000 home runs and every day you weren’t playing baseball was spent nurturing sick children back to health.

9. schmedley69 - Oct 19, 2010 at 9:37 PM

Pete wasn’t the greatest guy off the field, but there’s no denying that he is one of the greatest players ever on the field. He will never be “just another guy.” He shouldn’t be allowed to hold any position in baseball where he could potentially sway the outcome of a game, but he should be allowed to attend games and ceremonies, and he should be eligible for the HOF. Let the Veteran’s Committee decide if he should get in or not.

• JBerardi - Oct 19, 2010 at 11:25 PM

The Veteran’s Committee? How on earth is it their decision to make?

• schmedley69 - Oct 20, 2010 at 2:08 AM

Who’s decision should it be then? The writers? A good chunk of them probably never saw him play. Let his peers decide. That’s what happens when a player doesn’t get voted in after 15 years on the ballot. The Veteran’s Committee is the final judge.

• JBerardi - Oct 20, 2010 at 11:18 AM

It’s Major League Baseball’s decision to ban him, and the HOF’s decision to honor that ban. The VC and the writers have nothing to do with it.

• Jonny 5 - Oct 20, 2010 at 9:00 AM

Bingo Schmedly!!! You are a wise man. I mean Selig should be fired for turning his head as steroids (Illegal drugs) ran rampant through MLB while all he did was count ratings and money. Bud knew it, Managers knew it, trainers knew it, and every damn ballplayer knew it. Tell me no one blew a whistle to BUD? Bullcrap. IMO he’s 10 x worse than Pete. Yet he is the guy judging Pete and keeping him from the HOF. Sure we don’t want cheats in the game, i’m fine with it. But the HOF?? seriously?

10. Chris Fiorentino - Oct 19, 2010 at 11:38 PM

I know that Rose was wrong betting on baseball and I agree that he should never be allowed to be a part of any type of baseball game again. Period. But he should be in the Hall of Fame for his on-the-field achievements. Having the all-time hits leader not in the Hall of Fame seems to me like cutting off your nose to spite your face. But either way, I wouldn’t fight for Pete Rose for anything. Screw him…he made his bed, now he has to sleep in it.

• Glenn - Oct 20, 2010 at 10:42 PM

Are you ok Chris? You’re making sense all over baseball blogs these days.

11. metalhead65 - Oct 19, 2010 at 11:45 PM

look just because he did not break down and cry and confess and beg for forgiveness at the time like every other athlete who did something wrong does not mean he needs the media to keep telling what an awful person he is. yea it’s just terrible that he continues to make money for his family by selling his autograph or doing whatever it takes to earn a living.like it or not he has a paid a heavy price for his crimes so get off his back. if they will not let him in the hall for what he did as a player while he was alive then they better not after he is dead. there is a reason he is still popular after all these years and that is because he was one hell of a player and the all time hits leader. he played the game the way it was supposed to be played all out all the time. still seems a little unfair he got busted for not paying taxes and had to due time but the other old timers who didn’t suddenly paid all the back taxes on the unreported card show money and didn’t have to face any charges.it’s simple if all his records and memorabellia is good enough to be in the hall then he should to. if you want to put a scarlet letter on his plaque stating he is banned for what he did after his playing days fine but put him in!

• JBerardi - Oct 20, 2010 at 12:14 AM

Rules. Simple. Banned. End of story. *sigh*

12. Cyn - Oct 20, 2010 at 8:39 AM

What always gets left out of these conversations is that Pete Rose’s achievements ARE in the Hall of Fame. If you go, you will see his name on many the plaque bearing witness to what he’s accomplished. The only thing not there is a HoF plaque specifically just for him. So anyone complaining that he should be in there because of what he’s done…the HoF respects what he’s done but not him…I’m good with that.

13. roadduck99 - Oct 20, 2010 at 12:12 PM

These days, Pete Rose is almost as famous for not being in the Hall of Fame as he is for what he did on the baseball field.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5115)