Bryce Harper: Nationals “will be the Yankees of the NL East”

Oct 19, 2010, 2:18 PM EDT

Image (1) bryce%20harper%20wall%20of%20balls.jpg for post 6583

Prior to making his Arizona Fall League debut tomorrow Bryce Harper chatted with Byron Kerr of MASNSports.com and had some interesting things to say about the Nationals’ future:

I think in the next couple years we will be the Yankees of the NL East. I have been telling everyone that. We are going to roll. We are going to win some World Series. That is everyone’s goal. [Field coordinator] Bobby Henley preached that from day one: “We are going to win the NL East someday.” I really believe that. Hopefully, we bring a couple of World Series to Washington, D.C.

The whole “we will be the Yankees of the NL East” thing is obviously pretty amusing, but my favorite part of the above quote is that a Nationals coach picked “we are going to win the NL East someday” as his big motivational tactic.  Of course, if the Nationals don’t “win the NL East someday” they’ll be one of the least successful franchises in the history of sports. Someday is a long time.

1. Ari Collins - Oct 19, 2010 at 2:26 PM

Awww, cute little baseball player with no objectivity or understanding of payroll.

2. The Dangerous Mabry - Oct 19, 2010 at 2:44 PM

I guess the important question is, who’s going to be the Rays of the NL East (and, you know, actually win the division)?

3. Jonny 5 - Oct 19, 2010 at 2:51 PM

They really should pay him extra to not talk. The Yankees of the NL east? Well they seem to have found their own version of A-rod. Is it me or does he seem to have no idea about major league ball? And he is a yankees/ cowgirls fan. Bleh!!

4. Panda Claus - Oct 19, 2010 at 3:32 PM

Brash Harper speaks out again. It’s great that he’s showing us his youthful enthusiasm, but his words might carry more weight once he actually makes the big league roster.

5. BC - Oct 19, 2010 at 4:19 PM

And I’m the queen of Spain. This kid needs to put a cork in it.

6. nfieldr - Oct 19, 2010 at 4:32 PM

I believe I heard this on Freaks and Geeks, but “when you’re the something of something, you’re actually the nothing of nothing”.

• Old Gator - Oct 19, 2010 at 5:50 PM

“If everybody’s somebody, then no one’s anybody.” – Gilbert and Sullivan. Close, nfieldr. But can you sing It?

I predict that Harper will be remembered as “The Indispensible Gnat,” rising to the show at a time when the voters, in their supreme idiocy, have elected to give Congress a lobotomy. It’s going to be a race between Harper and the Tea Party cretins who infest the Hill to see who can say the stupidest thing in Washington on any given day. Incredibly enough, I think it’ll be Harper at least half the time.

• JBerardi - Oct 19, 2010 at 6:45 PM

That’s only because Christine O’Donnell is losing so badly:

“When Coons responded that the First Amendment bars Congress from making laws respecting the establishment of religion, O’Donnell asked: ‘You’re telling me that’s in the First Amendment?’”

Swear to God the FSM, this is a real quote. Say what you will about Harper, I promise you he knows Constitution better than that. I mean, he did just get his GED.

• JBerardi - Oct 19, 2010 at 6:47 PM

Mmmm, that’s some bad formatting. You know, some WordPress blogs allow you to edit your comments. You don’t even have to register for that to work. Just sayin’.

7. 013hip - Oct 19, 2010 at 6:29 PM

Bryce,Bryce,Bryce….forgive me young man but the Yankees didn’t become the powerhouse and institution they are overnight, nor by talking about it. Get back to me when you actually have been there year after year after year etc. and so on!!!
    You know confidence is great….But, one should not let one’s mouth overload one’s….. well you know the rest!

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5465)