Oct 19, 2010, 8:50 AM EDT
The Diamondbacks are going to have to find something else on which to spend the $80 million they had mentally set aside for Japanese ace Yu Darvish, because he has decided to stay in Japan for the 2011 season. His blog post to that effect, translated by Yakyubaka.com:
A lot has been mentions about the Majors.
I received a lot of comments, both on Twitter and on my blog.
I don’t know if this will match everyone’s guess.
I will be wearing a Nippon Ham Fighters uniform.
And if you think I’m not going to adopt that exact format for every personal announcement I make for the rest of my career then you’re crazy.
In other news, check out Darvish’s personal blog — in Japanese — here. I don’t know that much about Darvish, but based on the name of the blog alone I think American baseball will be much poorer for not having him with us next season.
(link via WEEI)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 45
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 37
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects 88
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 17
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 21
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 25
- Happy 40th Birthday, A-Rod! 44
- Craig Biggio, John Smoltz, Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez inducted into the Hall of Fame 41
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)