Oct 19, 2010, 12:15 PM EDT
Mike Quade went 24-13 as Chicago’s interim manager after taking over a 51-74 team from Lou Piniella in mid-August and today the Cubs announced that he’s been hired as the full-time skipper.
Quade will reportedly get a two-year contract with a team option for 2013.
Ryne Sandberg was the most popular candidate among Cubs fans and was named Triple-A manager of the year in his first season at Iowa, but Quade seemed to have the support of most Cubs players.
There’s no word yet on whether Sandberg will be asked to serve on Quade’s coaching staff, but it seems unlikely after being passed over for the job many assumed was his.
Prior to taking over for Piniella on an interim basis Quade was the Cubs’ third base coach for four seasons and spent 17 years managing and coaching in the minors, including serving as Iowa’s skipper from 2003-2006.
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 46
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 12
- The Lester trade is a win-win 104
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 160
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 92
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (160)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (121)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)