Oct 19, 2010, 12:15 PM EST
Mike Quade went 24-13 as Chicago’s interim manager after taking over a 51-74 team from Lou Piniella in mid-August and today the Cubs announced that he’s been hired as the full-time skipper.
Quade will reportedly get a two-year contract with a team option for 2013.
Ryne Sandberg was the most popular candidate among Cubs fans and was named Triple-A manager of the year in his first season at Iowa, but Quade seemed to have the support of most Cubs players.
There’s no word yet on whether Sandberg will be asked to serve on Quade’s coaching staff, but it seems unlikely after being passed over for the job many assumed was his.
Prior to taking over for Piniella on an interim basis Quade was the Cubs’ third base coach for four seasons and spent 17 years managing and coaching in the minors, including serving as Iowa’s skipper from 2003-2006.
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 8
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 255
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 16
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 130
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training 113
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (255)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (130)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (113)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)