Hey, whaddaya know? Women like baseball!

Oct 19, 2010, 11:32 AM EDT

An article  in today’s Philly Inquirer irked me to no end. The headline: “Female fans turned on by the Phils.” The premise: there are a lot of serious female baseball fans! And it’s not just because the ballplayers are cute!

What’s one of the big rules of journalism? You don’t write “dog bites man” stories? The fact that in 2010 there are serious female baseball fans who actually like the game, keep score and know what the hell they’re talking about is a dog bites man story. This story, however, seems like it was premised on just how unexpected it is to find such exotic beasts. The “turned on” verbiage from the headline seems like a giveaway.

But of course the writer found several serious female baseball fans. Such a thing should be easy, especially in a city with a rich baseball heritage like Philadelphia. Which makes me wonder what the point of the article was in the first place.

1. theolgoaler - Oct 19, 2010 at 11:40 AM

The point of the article? C’mon, Craig… it was to fill “x-number” column inches! Gotta put something between the ads!

2. Old Gator - Oct 19, 2010 at 11:48 AM

My insignificant other at that time used to think John “The monster is out of the cage! The monster is out of the cage!” Stearns had the cutest tushy in baseball. That makes perfect sense to me, since she never appreciate mine very much anyway – but then I was always sitting on it whereas Stearns was always squatting and pointing his at her face. On the other hand, I can just see all those Beemer Bitches and Mercedes Mamas sitting in their dens reading Take Time for Paradise to help them get “serious” about baseball. No. Neitzsche was right about them. It doesn’t scan.

3. Jonny 5 - Oct 19, 2010 at 11:54 AM

Lol!! I read it. It’s written by a Female. And it pretty much says women pick their favorites by how “cute” they are. And this is why female beach volleyball exists, for me. I don’t feel so bad now.

• Jonny 5 - Oct 19, 2010 at 11:57 AM

Just confirmed. I just asked a “DIE HARD” Phillies fan who just happens to be a woman, who her favorite player is. Answer. Greg Dobbs. Greg Dobbs? Really?

• Utley's Hair - Oct 19, 2010 at 12:12 PM

At least she didn’t say Eric Bruntlett.

• Jonny 5 - Oct 19, 2010 at 12:17 PM

My wife, when asked who her favorite is said, and i quote. “Jayson Werth, but Ryan Madsen is pretty hot too”. Yeah. While i won’t say this is the universal female mindset when it comes to being a baseball fan. I will say a good percentage of them do indeed feel “turned on by the Phills”. Bastards can have all our women if they want. Damn them!!

• jb1085 - Oct 19, 2010 at 12:18 PM

Well, I was sitting next to a guy at the game on Saturday who couldn’t fathom why Ross Gload was being brought in to pinch hit vs. a RHP. The guy sounded like he’d never heard of Gload, and insisted Charlie should have used Mike Sweeney.

I guess that means all male Phillies fans have no idea what the heck they’re talking about.

• Jonny 5 - Oct 19, 2010 at 12:25 PM

One thing is for sure. That guy was clueless. Don’t get me wrong here. This is a scientific experiment. The results are the results. I am doing important research here. Ok, my co worker is a Yankees fan I’m popping the question to her brb… It’s Jeter. ” Because he’s the only one she knows” I guess that wasn’t definative and should be trashed…

• jb1085 - Oct 19, 2010 at 12:33 PM

“Ok, my co worker is a Yankees fan”

Bad example. Half of their ‘fanbase’ (never lived in NY, never been to NY, likely have never watched a game but like the neato hats!) could only name Jeter.

4. emmaspan - Oct 19, 2010 at 11:56 AM

I will not read the comments on the Inquirer article. I will not read the comments on the inquirer article. I will not…

… dammit. AAAARGH.

• Old Gator - Oct 19, 2010 at 1:37 PM

ROFLMAO. I know the feeling all too well. I have to cadge my eyes every time I wheel my shopping cart full of coco lopez, pineapples and a few bottles of acai berry juice past the magazine rack at the Publix checkout counter. You know you’re too elitist when you won’t even look at the cover of the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue for fear that your all too commodious peripheral vision will embrace the edges of Us, The Star and Expose too.

5. Dan Friedman - Oct 19, 2010 at 11:57 AM

I mean, women only fake liking sports to trick cute guys into dating them, right? RIGHT???

Oh, I forgot—women are capable of having real interests and desires outside of men.

• Utley's Hair - Oct 19, 2010 at 12:13 PM

Well, THAT doesn’t bode well for me…. Not that the looks helped any either. Sigh.

6. Richard In Big D - Oct 19, 2010 at 12:01 PM

There are a couple of nuns here in Texas, in their 80’s if they’re still with us, who have been Rangers season ticket holders since the beginning. There was my great-aunt Agnes who would pop open a Piels and plop on the couch to catch the Mets every time they were on TV, and head out to the park most times when they weren’t. There was my female boss in the early 80’s who was a ridiculous Mets fan from the beginning, and who took me to every post-season game the Mets were in in 1986 (Including Houston and Boston). These were kind of man-bites-dog stories in their day, but we’re now well into the 21st century. Being amazed that women are baseball fans is like being surprised that Detroit, Newark, etc. have had African American mayors.

• Utley's Hair - Oct 19, 2010 at 12:11 PM

Wow…drinking Piels and watching the Mutts? I just threw up a little in my mouth….

• Jonny 5 - Oct 19, 2010 at 12:19 PM

Great aunt Agnes drinking Piels and “plopping” on the couch while watching the Mets. Get it right. it was more gross than you remember.

• Utley's Hair - Oct 19, 2010 at 12:44 PM

LMAO. That makes it better.

7. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Oct 19, 2010 at 12:03 PM

I need me one of them knowledgeable baseball ladies. If she can watch me play video games for hours too, well then, I’ll immediately propose to this magical woman. Unfortunately, I’ll have to forgo looks on this one, but 2 outta 3 ain’t bad I guess…

• Richard In Big D - Oct 19, 2010 at 12:30 PM

Great Aunt Agnes, if she were still alive, would be about 105 years old, so, either way, you’d definitely have to forego looks…

8. Cyn - Oct 19, 2010 at 12:07 PM

//Unfortunately, I’ll have to forgo looks on this one, but 2 outta 3 ain’t bad I guess…//

Hmm…women who like sports are automatically unattractive? I’m guessing guys who spend “hours” playing video games aren’t exactly beating the gals away with a stick.

My aunt took my grandfather to the 1946 World Series. My mother and father spent their first date at Fenway Park because my mother wanted to see the Red Sox. I’ve gone to more live sporting events than any man I’ve been involved with. Sports are part of American culture and many women like sports. Why is this a difficult concept to grasp?

Also, finding a player attractive doesn’t mean a woman doesn’t know about the sport, it means she’s a living being. If we notice attractive men in all other aspects of our lives, why not notice them when they are playing the sport we follow?

• Chris Fiorentino - Oct 19, 2010 at 12:14 PM

Pedro was pwned…lolz.

• Jonny 5 - Oct 19, 2010 at 12:29 PM

And all while he was trying to be nice about it too. Chris, you should hear some of the Vile things he says about women. Terrible if you ask me.

• Utley's Hair - Oct 19, 2010 at 12:15 PM

He’s a Braves fan, so he can’t really be responsible for how he lashes out right now.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Oct 19, 2010 at 12:43 PM

That’s it. My scorched earth policy is about to go into effect. All Phillies fans can now consider themselves recipients of the Fiorentino treatment.

P.S. I’m nice to women. I stare at their boobs when they talk to me and everything.

• Utley's Hair - Oct 19, 2010 at 12:48 PM

Haha. I was just trying to help by explaining why you might be in a sour mood.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Oct 19, 2010 at 12:53 PM

I’m in a sour mood b/c I can’t find an attractive woman who loves baseball and xbox despite everyone here telling me this f@cking unicorn exists!!!

• Jonny 5 - Oct 19, 2010 at 1:13 PM

Heyward. i found one for you. She loves baseball, and video games, is way above a 6, but………. Well you’ll see.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Oct 19, 2010 at 1:27 PM

Giggity. Gotta keep enemies close, real close.

• Richard In Big D - Oct 19, 2010 at 12:34 PM

I’m gonna guess, if women watsh sports NOT for the men’s butts, that female sports fans are better than male sports fans. I know that whenever I watch beach volleyball, it has very little, if anything, to do with the competition.

• Utley's Hair - Oct 19, 2010 at 1:04 PM

So THAT’S what the net in the middle of the sand is for…

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Oct 19, 2010 at 12:35 PM

You find me a lady who loves baseball (and knows the game, players, etc.) AND who loves to play an Halo AND is above a 6 on a 1-to-10 scale. Then I’ll eat my words.

I’m fairly certain I’m unattractive and even more so when I play video games for hours on end while praying to Buddha.

Further, Utley’s Hair, stop ganging up me with Fiorentino. I believe there’s a commandment about that or something.

• Utley's Hair - Oct 19, 2010 at 12:41 PM

HAHAHAHA!!!!!! That was totally coincidental. No, actually, we consult each other before we make any comments to see how we can bash you.

And I was unaware that Buddhism had Commandments.

• Chris Fiorentino - Oct 19, 2010 at 12:46 PM

Halo sucks. You should have said “You find me a lady who loves baseball (and knows the game, players, etc.) AND who loves to play COD:MOD 2 AND is above a 6 on a 1-to-10 scale. Then I’ll eat my words.”

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Oct 19, 2010 at 12:51 PM

Scorched earth treatment. You will all burn now. Fiorentino now has company in the bowls of my shit-talking.

CF, I really wish you were into Halo. I’d love to throw a plasma grenade on your ass, shoot you in the face with a DMR or just needle the hell out of you. Oh well, I’ll needle the hell out of you here instead.

9. Utley's Hair - Oct 19, 2010 at 12:22 PM

I know a lot of women who like/watch/talk baseball and other sports a lot. I also know a lot of guys who pay next to no attention to sports and don’t know a lot about them. Hell, my best friend is only marginally interested in sports, which is why I spend so much time in here with you sad sacks.

10. IdahoMariner - Oct 19, 2010 at 12:22 PM

I don’t know which is more aggravating…the article Craig linked to or some of the comments.
    I’d go on, but Cyn said it best and most succinctly.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Oct 19, 2010 at 12:37 PM

Damn, can’t a dude be sexist on baseball thread for a minute?

11. BC - Oct 19, 2010 at 12:33 PM

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz……

12. wonkypenguin - Oct 19, 2010 at 12:48 PM

As a female baseball fan, I would say that these articles are amusing but unnecessary. Also (and I’m not sure if this was covered) can’t we blame the Red Sox and all the pink crap from 2004-5 for articles like this being green lit?

I may not be considered a real girl, of course, but man it’s fun to listen to some jackass male try to tell me why RBIs matter and not understanding what OBP is. Thanks, buddy!

13. kathybaseball - Oct 19, 2010 at 11:04 PM

I enjoy when men say I don’t know anything about baseball other than what players are cute, just because I have boobs. Their deer-in-the-headlights look when I ask THEM to explain the infield fly rule, or what a rule 5 player is = priceless! GO BRAVES!

Why is Wren out and Gonzalez is not?
  1. R. Castillo (1938)