Oct 19, 2010, 5:40 PM EDT
Jake Peavy hasn’t resumed throwing yet following July shoulder surgery, but told Scott Merkin of MLB.com that he plans to play some “easy catch” for the first time next month with an eye toward throwing at full strength at some point in December.
His goal is to “not be behind at all when camp starts” next spring, but that’s far from a sure thing:
My goal is to be there and be there from the get-go and pull my weight, and we’ll work as hard as we can to make that a reality. Once the time is right, I believe I will be there. If I do have to miss a start or two at the beginning and can’t start the season with the boys, I can’t believe I would be much behind.
Peavy is owed $16 million in 2011 and $17 million in 2012, with a $22 million option or $4 million buyout for 2013. He posted a 4.16 ERA in 20 starts for the White Sox prior to being shut down with shoulder problems, and the move from the NL and pitcher-friendly Petco Park to the AL and hitter-friendly U.S. Cellular Field made him a relative question mark even before the injury.
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 105
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 17
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 38
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 41
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 351
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (351)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (190)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (161)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)