Oct 19, 2010, 3:31 PM EDT
It was just revealed that Francisco Cervelli will get the start behind the plate for game Game 4 tonight against the Rangers.
My first thought is to hate this move because Cervelli’s bat is pretty anemic and the Yankees need all the offense they can get. On the other hand, A.J. Burnett worked primarily with Cervelli during the year, and anything that makes Burnett more comfortable is a good thing if you’re the Yankees. On the third hand (I got a ton of hands here), I am predisposed to hate personal catcher situations on general principle. At the very least you should have better credentials than A.J. freakin’ Burnett before you’re entitled to choose your receiver. I didn’t even like it when Greg Maddux did it.
Ultimately, though, this probably won’t make a big difference. Posada hasn’t been hitting much himself lately. And of course, if Cervelli comes up in a key spot, Girardi is likely to pinch hit Posada for him anyway.
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 0
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 2
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 50
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 4
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 39
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 78
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 28
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)