Oct 19, 2010, 3:31 PM EDT
It was just revealed that Francisco Cervelli will get the start behind the plate for game Game 4 tonight against the Rangers.
My first thought is to hate this move because Cervelli’s bat is pretty anemic and the Yankees need all the offense they can get. On the other hand, A.J. Burnett worked primarily with Cervelli during the year, and anything that makes Burnett more comfortable is a good thing if you’re the Yankees. On the third hand (I got a ton of hands here), I am predisposed to hate personal catcher situations on general principle. At the very least you should have better credentials than A.J. freakin’ Burnett before you’re entitled to choose your receiver. I didn’t even like it when Greg Maddux did it.
Ultimately, though, this probably won’t make a big difference. Posada hasn’t been hitting much himself lately. And of course, if Cervelli comes up in a key spot, Girardi is likely to pinch hit Posada for him anyway.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)