Oct 19, 2010, 3:31 PM EDT
It was just revealed that Francisco Cervelli will get the start behind the plate for game Game 4 tonight against the Rangers.
My first thought is to hate this move because Cervelli’s bat is pretty anemic and the Yankees need all the offense they can get. On the other hand, A.J. Burnett worked primarily with Cervelli during the year, and anything that makes Burnett more comfortable is a good thing if you’re the Yankees. On the third hand (I got a ton of hands here), I am predisposed to hate personal catcher situations on general principle. At the very least you should have better credentials than A.J. freakin’ Burnett before you’re entitled to choose your receiver. I didn’t even like it when Greg Maddux did it.
Ultimately, though, this probably won’t make a big difference. Posada hasn’t been hitting much himself lately. And of course, if Cervelli comes up in a key spot, Girardi is likely to pinch hit Posada for him anyway.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 31
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 7
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 213
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 53
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (213)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)