Jorge sits, Cervelli gets the start behind the plate for the Yankees tonight

Oct 19, 2010, 3:31 PM EDT

A.J. Burnett, Francisco Cervelli

It was just revealed that Francisco Cervelli will get the start behind the plate for game Game 4 tonight against the Rangers.

My first thought is to hate this move because Cervelli’s bat is pretty anemic and the Yankees need all the offense they can get. On the other hand, A.J. Burnett worked primarily with Cervelli during the year, and anything that makes Burnett more comfortable is a good thing if you’re the Yankees. On the third hand (I got a ton of hands here), I am predisposed to hate personal catcher situations on general principle. At the very least you should have better credentials than A.J. freakin’ Burnett before you’re entitled to choose your receiver. I didn’t even like it when Greg Maddux did it.

Ultimately, though, this probably won’t make a big difference. Posada hasn’t been hitting much himself lately. And of course, if Cervelli comes up in a key spot, Girardi is likely to pinch hit Posada for him anyway.

1. Jonny 5 - Oct 19, 2010 at 3:39 PM

The catcher position…. I like a guy who just saw the same guys swinging last night myself. In a championship series I just don’t get it, unless Posada NEEDS a break.

2. yankeesfanlen - Oct 19, 2010 at 3:49 PM

Jorge, bless his cranky non-hitting soul, would have every other catch go to the backstop if Burnett is his usual self, good or bad. Cervelli also gets singles in the clutch and his RBI’s far exceed what’s expected given his batting pct. and lack of power. Johnny, Posada ALWAYS needs a rest, he would be better suited as your grumpy town councilman.

• Jonny 5 - Oct 19, 2010 at 4:11 PM

Haa!! Yeah well I haven’t seen much of him myself. All I know is he takes wayyyy too many trips to the mound. It kinda makes me want to scream. So when are Stein-vadars stormtroppers going to pick up a top notch catcher? Quality catchers make for Aces on the mound, know what I mean? Halladay seems to be in total love with Chooch. I saw them embrace lovingly a few times this season. knowing where to put the ball counts for a hell of alot.

• The Rabbit - Oct 19, 2010 at 4:30 PM

Glad to see you’re back. Missed your astute observations.

• lmno7 - Oct 19, 2010 at 5:10 PM

YES!!!!!! Finally!!!! I’m so tired of watching Jorge keep the bat on his shoulder… and make rookie mistakes (throw to 2nd, runner on 3rd steals home??!!!!???) … and have ABSOLUTELY NO PASSION in the game… Cervelli has fire!!! He’s excited about every pitch, every strike, he throws the ball back to the pitcher HARD… like C’MON! LET’S GO!

Craig says .. “Cervelli’s bat is pretty anemic”.. I say Posada has done NOTHING in the post season so far…. Cervelli has had many clutch basehits and RBI’s this season… he deserves to play… I appreciate Posadas career, but it’s kind of done… pass the torch… Let Cervelli have his moment.

Having said all that…. AJ has me scared… if he is on, then he is ON!!! But too often this season, he hasn’t been… now is crunch time… do or die… he has to nut up or shut up.

GO YANKS!!!!

3. farout39 - Oct 19, 2010 at 5:24 PM

I haven’t seen anything on why Girardi didn’t bring Mariano in for the 9th – they are only down 2 runs & chances are Lee doesn’t come out for the bottom of the 9th or at least take the chance he’s wearing down – he gave that game away – he makes some bone head decisions – if Burnett doesn’t have it tonight will he bring in CC or turn it over again to an ineffective bullpen – GO YANKS

• lmno7 - Oct 19, 2010 at 5:34 PM

I think they did say Lee would have pitched the 9th if it was still a 2 run game…

If Burnett doesn’t have it tonight (Please, can we stop spotting them leads in the first inning?) then my guess would be Dustin Mosely for long relief…. no way CC is coming in…

4. libvin98 - Oct 19, 2010 at 6:00 PM

It’s about time. I love Jorge, always have, but even in his prime he was an average, at best, catcher. Now, he is a liability behind the plate. Even if Cervellii doesn’t hit ( and Posada hasn’t hit yet either) he is a MAJOR upgrade defensively. Pitchers are getting anxious about throwing breaking balls to Posada and it is affecting their pitching strategies. His arm is shot, and he doesn’t block balls well. He has never been a good “manager” of pitchers. This is the smart move. The next smart move is to move Gardner to lead off and move Jeter to the bottom of the order. For whatever reasons, age, injury whatever, he has become a liability at the top of the order.

5. 013hip - Oct 19, 2010 at 6:05 PM

The Yankees have provided me with many, many years of enjoyable post season baseball, and I expect that they will do so for many more years. And while I’ve learned …..never count them out, I do believe that Texas will be the chosen one this year!
    I’m guessing that it’s not the Bronx Bombers that’s sparking an interest in Philly right now!
    As for San Fran…….well, they will find some way to take themselves out of it !!!

6. farout39 - Oct 19, 2010 at 6:21 PM

You’re right the Yanks have provided many thrills. My first trip to the Stadium was when I was 7 in 1954 – we sat in center field right behind Mantle. Win or lose I’m a lifetime Yankee fan. Also like you said – never count them out – it ain’t over til the fat lady sings

The Jon Lester-Yoenis Cespedes trade is a win-win