Oct 19, 2010, 3:31 PM EDT
It was just revealed that Francisco Cervelli will get the start behind the plate for game Game 4 tonight against the Rangers.
My first thought is to hate this move because Cervelli’s bat is pretty anemic and the Yankees need all the offense they can get. On the other hand, A.J. Burnett worked primarily with Cervelli during the year, and anything that makes Burnett more comfortable is a good thing if you’re the Yankees. On the third hand (I got a ton of hands here), I am predisposed to hate personal catcher situations on general principle. At the very least you should have better credentials than A.J. freakin’ Burnett before you’re entitled to choose your receiver. I didn’t even like it when Greg Maddux did it.
Ultimately, though, this probably won’t make a big difference. Posada hasn’t been hitting much himself lately. And of course, if Cervelli comes up in a key spot, Girardi is likely to pinch hit Posada for him anyway.
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 12
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 3
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 3
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case 59
- Rafael Soriano took back all that stuff he said about Bryce Harper 12
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (110)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (70)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games