Oct 19, 2010, 1:15 PM EST
Hired as the Mariners’ new manager yesterday, Eric Wedge’s ugly history with Milton Bradley from their time together with the Indians in 2003/2004 seemingly makes it unlikely that they’ll be asked to co-exist again in Seattle.
That may prove true–Wedge hasn’t even been officially introduced to the local media yet–but in the meantime Larry Stone of the Seattle Times reports that after hearing about Wedge’s hiring yesterday Bradley did his best to clear the air by text messaging the following note to an unnamed member of the Mariners organization:
Whatever took place was six or seven years ago and I’m over it. He was a disciplinarian and I felt our team lacked discipline last year. Hopefully, he instills some of that.
That’s nice and all, but coming from a guy who’s worn out his welcome with seven different teams and engaged in some pretty serious insubordination against Wedge the first time around … well, it doesn’t carry much weight.
Stone suggests that “perhaps this marriage can work the second time around” but I’d certainly bet against Bradley and Wedge being in the same dugout come Opening Day.
- Blue Jays acquire Josh Donaldson in a trade with the Athletics 40
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 87
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 164
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (164)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)