Oct 19, 2010, 2:36 AM EDT
After watching Cliff Lee spend Game 3 of the ALCS toying with the New York Yankees with great amusement (how cute of you to try to score runs off me!), Nolan Ryan must have been feeling smug.
He certainly sounded like it when asked how much it would cost to keep the pending free agent pitcher (as delivered by Howard Bryant of ESPN):
“Go across the hall and ask them. I think he got their attention tonight.”
I suppose there is a chance Texas, which will have some big TV money coming down the pike in a couple years, could make a serious bid to keep the left-hander, but the smart money has Lee in New York next season, as everyone knows the Yankees have the resources to outbid anyone when they really want a player.
Either way, you have to admire Ryan enjoying the moment and getting in a dig.
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with apparent side injury 1
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 2
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 3
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 4
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 7
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 30
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (88)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)