Oct 19, 2010, 2:36 AM EST
After watching Cliff Lee spend Game 3 of the ALCS toying with the New York Yankees with great amusement (how cute of you to try to score runs off me!), Nolan Ryan must have been feeling smug.
He certainly sounded like it when asked how much it would cost to keep the pending free agent pitcher (as delivered by Howard Bryant of ESPN):
“Go across the hall and ask them. I think he got their attention tonight.”
I suppose there is a chance Texas, which will have some big TV money coming down the pike in a couple years, could make a serious bid to keep the left-hander, but the smart money has Lee in New York next season, as everyone knows the Yankees have the resources to outbid anyone when they really want a player.
Either way, you have to admire Ryan enjoying the moment and getting in a dig.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- The Cleveland Plain Dealer comes out strongly against Chief Wahoo (116)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (86)
- Report: Harold Reynolds, Tom Verducci to join Joe Buck for World Series booth at Fox (73)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)