Quote of the night: Nolan Ryan enjoys the moment

Oct 19, 2010, 2:36 AM EDT

ryan-nolan-101018

After watching Cliff Lee spend Game 3 of the ALCS toying with the New York Yankees with great amusement (how cute of you to try to score runs off me!), Nolan Ryan must have been feeling smug.

He certainly sounded like it when asked how much it would cost to keep the pending free agent pitcher (as delivered by Howard Bryant of ESPN):

“Go across the hall and ask them. I think he got their attention tonight.”

I suppose there is a chance Texas, which will have some big TV money coming down the pike in a couple years, could make a serious bid to keep the left-hander, but the smart money has Lee in New York next season, as everyone knows the Yankees have the resources to outbid anyone when they really want a player.

Either way, you have to admire Ryan enjoying the moment and getting in a dig.

You can follow Bob on Twitter, and get all your HBT updates here.

1. paperlions - Oct 19, 2010 at 8:41 AM

I don’t begrudge anyone their riches; but I am always a little disappointed in guys that disregard all other factors in life to take just a few extra million from the Yankees/Mets/Sox/Cubs. If they want to say it is all about the money, fine. But don’t take a few extra million and then act like other aspects of life or baseball or competition are what is most important to you.

2. Jonny 5 - Oct 19, 2010 at 8:48 AM

Smug? I don’t think it was as smug as you did. It sounds more like a good dig to me. I mean EVERYONE in NY and the national media has been Jawing for nearly 2 years now about how Lee is going to be a Yankee. WHO THE HELL IS SMUG AGAIN?
    Now that’s out of my system. I have a list of reasons why Lee will not end up in NY.
    1.Lee does grow attached to his teamates pretty quickly, they spend alot of time together.
    2.Lee is a country boy, and he’ll love Texas, Lee will hate NYC and he knows it.
    3.He enjoys beating NY entirely too much
    4.Lee would rather raise his family in Texas over NYC
    5.Ain’t no man named Lee going to become no Yankee
    6.New York smells bad
    7.Texas is going to advance and get Lee on the big stage again, where he thrives
    8.NY has a candidate running with the “rent is too damn high party” Jim McMillian. Scary.. woo…
    9.Texas will offer almost as much as NY, but it’ll be enough for all the above reasons

• IdahoMariner - Oct 19, 2010 at 1:17 PM

I am in complete agreement with you. He will be a Ranger. especially nos. 1,2, and 4. He was happy in Philadelphia, he was happy in Seattle, he is happy in Texas. He likes stability, he gets attached to his teammates, he likes to hunt and fish, he’s just a guy who pitches incredibly, unbelievably well who has a ridiculously level-headed approach to his game. He will continue to thrive in Texas. and he knows it. I wish we still had him.

3. BC - Oct 19, 2010 at 9:15 AM

Cliff Lee dominated the Yankees, but the Rangers didn’t dominate anything. It was 2-0 after 8 innings. That’s not domination.

4. BC - Oct 19, 2010 at 9:19 AM

Nolan Ryan could be the Mets 3rd starter. I say we sign him.

• Jonny 5 - Oct 19, 2010 at 9:28 AM

LMAO!!!! He did throw the ceremonial first pitch for a strike. He could at least work from the pen. BC, remember, get out and vote, Jimmy McMillian for Governor!!! The rent is too damn high.

• BC - Oct 19, 2010 at 10:12 AM

I’m not in McMillan’s jurisdiction. I am however going to vote early and often for Linda McMahon…

• Jonny 5 - Oct 19, 2010 at 10:24 AM

It would be cool to have a cage match between the two.

5. mckludge - Oct 19, 2010 at 12:03 PM

Hell, he throws as hard as Jamie Moyer.

Papelbon destined to be traded?
  1. G. Stanton (3772)