Sandy Alomar Jr. has his third interview with the Blue Jays

Oct 19, 2010, 11:04 AM EDT

Jordan Bastian of MLB.com reports that the Blue Jays have interviewed Sandy Almoar Jr. for their managerial opening three times already.

I’ve been on a lot of job interviews. And I spent a lot of time recruiting as well. I can’t remember ever either being interviewed or having someone in for interviews three times. The only possible excuse I can think for a third interview is that a key person had a scheduling conflict, but if the candidate is being taken seriously, you don’t schedule the guy until you know every key decision maker is available.

I’ll grant, however, that’s it’s possible the interviewing protocols of law firms are different than that of Major League Baseball teams. For example, no matter what his merits as a candidate are, most law firms wouldn’t consider Alomar because he wasn’t on law review.

1. BC - Oct 19, 2010 at 11:22 AM

It’s pretty common. For my last two jobs, I went for interviews four and three times respectively. Travel and work schedules make things difficult to line up.
    One company (the insurance company that will remain nameless but has a red umbrella for a logo) used to have senior managers block an entire day, and then they’d run 6 to 8 people in for a full day of interviews, and just sort of round robin them from manager to manager. One trip and and you’re done. Much cleaner that way.

2. dodger88 - Oct 19, 2010 at 11:27 AM

I’m an HR Director and a third interview typically is for a key higher up to bless a decision that has already been made; I would think Sandy Alomar, Jr is going to be offered the position.

• proudlycanadian - Oct 19, 2010 at 11:45 AM

If Alomar was offered the job, it would fulfill some initial speculation that the Jays wanted someone who spoke Spanish. They have beefed up their recruitment of Spanish speaking players. He is an ex catcher which seems to be a plus because former catchers are often very good managers. Furthermore, his father was well respected and his brother was a big star with the Jays.

3. Old Gator - Oct 19, 2010 at 11:43 AM

“I’ve been on a lot of job interviews. And I spent a lot of time recruiting as well. I can’t remember ever either being interviewed or having someone in for interviews three times.”

That’s because they’ve got a bunch of guys sitting behind a one-way mirror laughing their asses off. Think L.A. Confidential. Clearly, Alomar was the more entertaining of the two of you.

4. proudlycanadian - Oct 19, 2010 at 12:43 PM

The Toronto Star is reporting that the Jays have talked twice on the phone with Yankee coach Rob Thomson. The Star also says that there are other potential candidates who are still in the playoffs. They name Tony Pena (NY), Clint Hurdle (Tex) and Pete Mackanin (Phil). As expected, Valentine will not be on the short list. As the number of vacancies is quickly declining, the Jays will get the person they want.

5. bradlidgesmole - Oct 19, 2010 at 1:32 PM

poor sal fasano.

Does anyone want to win the NL wild card?
  1. M. Cuddyer (2918)