Some Yankees fans bring class to the ALCS

Oct 19, 2010, 9:54 AM EST

bottles in Rangers bullpen

Since I pointed out bad Philly fan behavior yesterday, I would be remiss in not pointing out bad Yankee fan behavior today.

Last night, after the game got out of hand, Yankees fans threw beer bottles and other debris into the Rangers bullpen as Neftali Feliz was warming up.  For added color, they began a chant of “a–hole, a–hole” at someone, though it’s hard to tell who.  You can see video of the bottles and chants over at Crossing Broad. Oh, and a fan ran on the field as well, though he was quickly taken into custody. People at the game tweeted, however, that the fan tried to fight the cops as he was being taken away, so he was obviously a brain surgeon.

It may or may not be worth noting that the reason I am aware of all of this is because multiple Phillies fans emailed it to me this morning with some variation of “because you and the rest of the national media only like to pick on Phillies fans you probably won’t say anything about the bad behavior at Yankee Stadium last night, but in case you decide to be fair for once, here are some links.”

No telling if those emails came from the same folks who told me I was wrong about Phillies fans being so defensive yesterday . . .

1. Chris Fiorentino - Oct 19, 2010 at 10:00 AM

The a-hole chants are nothing big…they happen everywhere. But throwing stuff on the field is ridiculous. Of course, it isn’t out of the ordinary for Yankers fans as they usually do that when they disagree with an umpire’s call or are getting beat pretty bad. You just don’t hear about it much. Thanks for pointing this out to us Craig, as I didn’t see it anywhere.

• merkywaters7777 - Oct 19, 2010 at 1:42 PM

A-hole chants do not happen everywhere, thats a bunch of nonsense. Personally, I’ve been to over 19 stadiums the last 25+ years and have NEVER heard any such chant like that. Talk about classless. What a great example we are setting for childeren these days.

• Ick McWang - Oct 19, 2010 at 7:22 PM

I’ve been to several dozen Rays games the last few years and never once have I heard an asshole chant, or any other chant involving a swear or a homophobic word. Yankee fans like these are just rude morons who think the world revolves around them because their team spends money like a drunken sailor on shore leave. They make every other Yankee fan look like an idiot too

2. Jason @ IIATMS - Oct 19, 2010 at 10:04 AM

I was there last night and most of the a-hole chants were directed at Rangers fans. No violence, just yelling. The bottles and debris, however, were completely unacceptable and I’d hope the culprits were caught and punished.

Of course, there were a group of well-lubricated lunkheads calling out to Josh Hamilton with things like: “Josh want a cold one?”, “Josh we gots Bud Lights up here!” Not to mention at least one “Al-co-hol-ic” chant when Hamilton was up.

But at least the “why are you gay” chant was buried.

/little things

3. BC - Oct 19, 2010 at 10:09 AM

Beer bottles? These guys are amateurs. In the 70’s they threw batteries. I remember one outfielder (might have been Ken Griffey) having to wear a batting helmet in the field.
    They could solve the beer bottle issue by simply serving the beer poured in a cup. A cup is a lot less damaging and you can’t throw it as far.

• Chris Fiorentino - Oct 19, 2010 at 10:11 AM

I could be wrong, but I believe the bottles are plastic. They usually are now at Sporting Events.

• roadduck99 - Oct 19, 2010 at 10:23 AM

If they have a cap, a full bottle can still pack a whallop. If the cap is off, in theory, much of the beer would exit the bottle in flight.

• Chris Fiorentino - Oct 19, 2010 at 10:28 AM

Yeah, I hear that…that’s why they don’t even give you the cap. At least not at CBP.

• BC - Oct 19, 2010 at 11:36 AM

Throwing a full beer??!? That’s alcohol abuse!

• Utley's Hair - Oct 19, 2010 at 12:50 PM

Throwing beer should be a capital offense. Spilling it should be a misdemeanor.

• ralphdibny - Oct 19, 2010 at 11:54 AM

I was at a Yankees game in the 90s when fans threw batteries at Albert Belle.

My first Yankees game ever was in 96. The Tigers were in town, and it was just after the Yankees had traded Rueben Sierra for Cecil Fielder. The entire game, bleacher fans serenaded Sierra with a little ditty to the tune of Camptown Races: “Rueben takes it up the @ss, doo dah, doo dah.”

4. Jason @ IIATMS - Oct 19, 2010 at 10:45 AM

Even drunk fans, Yankees or otherwise, are not so stupid to throw FULL bottles of beer. Those are expensive!

And yes, at Yankee Stadium, they are plastic. Still wouldn’t feel good, though.

• Jonny 5 - Oct 19, 2010 at 11:08 AM

Budwieser was in the past printing Phillies logos on their aluminum beer bottles for CBP. I of course wanted a Bud and Bud light for a souvenier, and they refused to give me the caps. After haggling with a few vendors I found this was not negotiable. So me being a super evil genius and all waited until one girl turned around and I slipped in and stole one red, and one blue cap. Mission accomplished. I still have them from the 08 season. Now this season it looked like they weren’t doing it anymore so I’m glad i did it.

5. hasbeen5 - Oct 19, 2010 at 10:46 AM

I don’t get why people run onto the field when the home team is in the field. If you’re going to disrupt the timing of a pitcher, wouldn’t you want it to be the opposing pitcher? Of course, I think running onto the field is stupid anyway, but even more so in this case.

6. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Oct 19, 2010 at 10:53 AM

I live in Chicago were douchebag fans are common, especially when the Cubs/Sox rivalry is in full effect. But damn, those New Yorkers and Philly folk got a few notches over the Chicagoans on the douchebag-o-meter.

• Jonny 5 - Oct 19, 2010 at 11:11 AM

Yeah because giving players a golden beer shower and hanging goat carcasses off statues is soo less douchebaggish and all….

• Utley's Hair - Oct 19, 2010 at 12:24 PM

Ask the Phightins Hawaiian centerfielder whether there are douchebag fans in Chicago.

7. danjfriedman - Oct 19, 2010 at 11:20 AM

Just to make a completely obvious point, as was also made for the Phillies fans, but NOT ALL Yankees fans are douchebags. Maybe a higher percentage than for other teams, I admit, but pretty much all of the competitive Northeast teams (NYY, NYM, PHI, BOS) have a healthy dose of a-holes who make the rest of us look bad.

• BC - Oct 19, 2010 at 11:39 AM

Cubs and White Sox fans are no prize either. Just ask the Royals first base coach from a couple years ago.

• Utley's Hair - Oct 19, 2010 at 12:31 PM

Agreed(–except fot the “competitive” adjective being attached the the Mutts). But I would add Chicago fans also, after the Phils’ Hawaiian centerfielder was doused with beer last year.

8. apbaguy - Oct 19, 2010 at 2:14 PM

See, this is a problem we don’t have in Oakland. We have too few fans in the stands for any audible chanting, and the combination of beer, warm CA sun, and offensively inept hitters induces coma by the 4th inning. Our only problem is when the stadium music is turned up too high and it wakes us up.

• Utley's Hair - Oct 19, 2010 at 2:43 PM

Are you sure you’re not Old Gator?

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (4772)
  2. M. Kemp (3777)
  3. M. Cabrera (2950)
  4. J. Kang (2915)
  5. J. Upton (2692)
  1. M. Morse (2646)
  2. W. Middlebrooks (2385)
  3. A. Rios (2327)