Oct 20, 2010, 3:48 PM EDT
In a surprise move last month the Angels fired Eddie Bane as part of a housecleaning in the scouting department, but it didn’t take long for the well-respected scouting director to find another gig.
Keith Law of ESPN.com reports that Bane “will join the Tigers’ pro scouting department.” His specialty is really more scouting amateurs and running drafts, but obviously the Tigers think enough of Bane to add him in whatever capacity they can for now.
Prior to being fired by the Angels last month Bane interviewed for the Diamondbacks’ general manager opening that eventually went to Kevin Towers. Assuming he wants the same type of responsibility again, I’ll be surprised if Bane isn’t running another scouting department by 2012.
- Maximum stay on Hall of Fame ballot changed from 15 to 10 years 17
- Jon Lester is willing to return to the Red Sox as a free agent even if they trade him 12
- Jose Abreu is third-fastest in MLB history to reach 30 career home runs 6
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 18
- How’d he do that? Magician Maddux fooled hitters all the way to Hall 23
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 46
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 35
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 15
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (200)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)