It may be the last day for baseball fans to care about the FOX-Cablevision dispute

Oct 20, 2010, 2:29 PM EDT

old TV

In case you’re curious, the transmission rights battle between FOX and Cablevision is still raging, with no end in sight. As we’ve discussed before, the dispute means that Cablevision subscribers in New York and Philiadelphia are unable to watch FOX. Which means, unless a resolution is reached, no World Series.

Know what? This seemed like a much more pressing problem a couple of days ago. If things keep going the way they’re going, I see no reason whatsoever for baseball fans in New York and Philly to want to watch the World Series.

1. Matthew Flint - Oct 20, 2010 at 2:32 PM

I like how you spun that, Craig, real nice. That’s great. What time are the Braves on tonight?

2. Chris Fiorentino - Oct 20, 2010 at 2:39 PM

LOLZ…nice zinger, Craig.

3. donniebb23 - Oct 20, 2010 at 2:49 PM

Sounds like bitter fan syndrome to me

4. Jonny 5 - Oct 20, 2010 at 2:50 PM

That’s just totally effing wrong of you Craig. But I Love it!!! Anyway, All i have is.. “Frenchie’s team will advance” I know that made you feel just a little dirty..

5. BC - Oct 20, 2010 at 3:02 PM

A picture of a TV with an antenna in an article about cable TV. Nice touch.

6. sdelmonte - Oct 20, 2010 at 3:48 PM

There is plenty of reason to want to watch.

If you love the game.

If Freak vs. Lee sounds good.

If you think that there was some odd New York sports grudge match going on and Big Blue and the Blueshirts were squaring off.

If you are going to be so very happy that the hated Yanks and the hated Phils are gone.

Did I mention, if you love the game?

7. bxcheer - Oct 21, 2010 at 11:20 AM

I hope they don’t settle it! F*%# Fox! I have a very hard time understanding why the same broadcast that is free over the airwaves, that are owned by the American public, should warrant an increase in fees to my cable provider that will eventually get passed along to me.

As a lifelong Yankee fan I want Yankees to get to game 7 and prove they can beat Lee Saturday. I really didn’t care who the NL team, .. except now. I hope it’s a Yankees and Phillies WS with no Cablevision broadcast, lets see what happens when they have the WS and a good portion of the fan base, (including me), doesn’t get the games. How is that going to affect their ratings, which drives their ad revenue? What won’t happen is life as we know it coming to an end. I can still listen to it on the radio and watch the highlights on MLB or ESPN.

The bottom line here is that a couple wealthy corporations, owned by billionaires, are having a pissing contest about who gets to put their hand deeper into my pocket. AND, they’re both trying to use me, the consumer, as a club on the other. Frankly, after the WS, with the exception of a few football games on FOX, (I’m a Jet fan), I don’t watch Fox anyway. With Internet access to just about most things networks, both cable suppliers and broadcast networks are becoming less relevant each day.

Either way, eventually the consumer is picking up the tab for this so the consumer’s rooting interest in this should be themselves. If Fox gets their increase the additional fees will be passed along to the consumer, ad rates will increase and advertisers will also pass along to the consumer. Cablevision isn’t much better but if they win my rates will likely increase, .. but less. If Fox wins they will absolutely increase, .. and even more. Lets see what happens when baseball, the networks and cable companies learn that the consumer, the fans, can do without them. Prehaps once they realize that we don’t need them but they absolutely need us the fans/comsumrs will get a better deal.

Three legends off to Cooperstown