Oct 20, 2010, 8:52 AM EDT
It was painful to watch. And it was downright inspirational to see him do his best to make it to first base. But as he was crumbling towards the bag, I couldn’t help but feel for the guy. As soon as the trainers came out it seemed clear that Mark Teixeira’s game was over. As soon as he needed help to get back to the dugout it seemed like his season was over. And now we know for a fact that it is: Teixeira had an MRI last night and was diagnosed with a Grade 2 hamstring strain that will keep him sidelined for six to eight weeks.
It’s a shame to see his season end like that. Especially given how poorly he hit in the ALCS. Teixeira is so supremely talented a hitter than you just knew he was going to break out of his funk eventually. Maybe with him the daunting task facing the Yankees — coming back from a 3-1 deficit — wouldn’t seem quite as daunting. Even if he didn’t hit a lick the rest of the way, how valuable is that glove at first base?
I don’t believe in signs and portents, but when Teixeira got hurt last night, the air seemed to come out of the Yankees. And it definitely came out of the crowd. Even on TV I could hear an audible, collective gasp as he stayed on the ground following the play. I can only imagine how it felt to be there, watching it. It was probably the most depressing part of a supremely depressing night for Yankees fans.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 9
- The Lester trade is a win-win 95
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 148
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 91
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (150)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (121)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)