Mark Teixeira’s season is over

Oct 20, 2010, 8:52 AM EDT

Texas Rangers v New York Yankees, Game 4 Getty Images

It was painful to watch. And it was downright inspirational to see him do his best to make it to first base. But as he was crumbling towards the bag, I couldn’t help but feel for the guy. As soon as the trainers came out it seemed clear that Mark Teixeira’s game was over. As soon as he needed help to get back to the dugout it seemed like his season was over. And now we know for a fact that it is: Teixeira had an MRI last night and was diagnosed with a Grade 2 hamstring strain that will keep him sidelined for six to eight weeks.

It’s a shame to see his season end like that. Especially given how poorly he hit in the ALCS. Teixeira is so supremely talented a hitter than you just knew he was going to break out of his funk eventually. Maybe with him the daunting task facing the Yankees — coming back from a 3-1 deficit — wouldn’t seem quite as daunting. Even if he didn’t hit a lick the rest of the way, how valuable is that glove at first base?

I don’t believe in signs and portents, but when Teixeira got hurt last night, the air seemed to come out of the Yankees. And it definitely came out of the crowd. Even on TV I could hear an audible, collective gasp as he stayed on the ground following the play. I can only imagine how it felt to be there, watching it. It was probably the most depressing part of a supremely depressing night for Yankees fans.

1. Erik Gonzalez - Oct 20, 2010 at 8:57 AM

Yeah, I feel real bad for Tex and the Yankees. Oh wait, no, I don’t. They have only another 10 All-Stars to fall back on at this point. This is likely trying to feel bad if one of Bill Gates’ Mercedes breaks down – only another dozen backup!

• bdog35 - Oct 20, 2010 at 12:39 PM

theres only one person to blame and its cashman,aj burnett 80 million for a head case? and hes always been one .How many pitchers did the yanks lose out on? What about cody ross or san frans lefty reliever,the yanks on the sidelines while texas steals lee,and its a excuse.Wheres the clutch yanks matsui and damon???? so please joe morgan and the idiots on fox stop giving praise to cashman,a steinbrenner butt kisser

2. BC - Oct 20, 2010 at 9:14 AM

Ow. Mommy.

3. ribender - Oct 20, 2010 at 9:32 AM

I hate to see any team’s players get hurt. I am a Yankee fan (formerly RickyB here), and I want to see every team at full strength. I want the Yankees to beat the other team’s best, and if they don’t, so be it. If I were a fan of another team, I would want to beat the Yankees at their best so they have no good excuses for losing other than simply getting outplayed (which they are in this series).

• ThatGuy - Oct 20, 2010 at 9:40 AM

Injury isn’t a good excuse anyway. People get injured in sports, you drive on.

• ribender - Oct 20, 2010 at 9:56 AM

I agree it’s not a good excuse, but one that people will lament anyway.

• Old Gator - Oct 20, 2010 at 11:47 AM

I lost my prehensile tail in an evolutionary crapshoot a few million years ago. Every time I finish cooking a meal and look at the two plates of healthy greens and lean protein and a glass of acai berry smoothie sitting on the counter and realize that I’m going to have to make two separate trips from the counter to the dining table, I lament that accident even though I realize it’s not a good excuse.

4. Adam - Oct 20, 2010 at 10:22 AM

Since they weren’t showing him run to first base at first, all I saw was the “slide” into first base and my reaction was “What an idiot, you don’t slide into first base, let alone feet first!” When they showed the replay I felt bad for the guy and you just knew he was done.

Tough way to end a season, but he’ll be back.

5. Chris Fiorentino - Oct 20, 2010 at 10:58 AM

Much as I hate the Yankers, I never wish injury on anyone and was definitely sad for Texiera last night…even if it had been A-Rod, I would have felt bad..although not quite as bad as I did for Tex. He seems like a pretty good dude. A-Rod…the devil.

6. yankees1996 - Oct 20, 2010 at 11:22 AM

As bad as it has been to see the Yankees play in this series it is serious salt in the wound to see Tex go out like that. Now, we have to count on CC to get us back to Texas and play one game at a time to climb back in. Joe needs to figure out a couple of things however, how do we get the offense on track?, and how do you beat Cliff Lee?

• Old Gator - Oct 20, 2010 at 11:44 AM