Oct 20, 2010, 8:52 AM EST
It was painful to watch. And it was downright inspirational to see him do his best to make it to first base. But as he was crumbling towards the bag, I couldn’t help but feel for the guy. As soon as the trainers came out it seemed clear that Mark Teixeira’s game was over. As soon as he needed help to get back to the dugout it seemed like his season was over. And now we know for a fact that it is: Teixeira had an MRI last night and was diagnosed with a Grade 2 hamstring strain that will keep him sidelined for six to eight weeks.
It’s a shame to see his season end like that. Especially given how poorly he hit in the ALCS. Teixeira is so supremely talented a hitter than you just knew he was going to break out of his funk eventually. Maybe with him the daunting task facing the Yankees — coming back from a 3-1 deficit — wouldn’t seem quite as daunting. Even if he didn’t hit a lick the rest of the way, how valuable is that glove at first base?
I don’t believe in signs and portents, but when Teixeira got hurt last night, the air seemed to come out of the Yankees. And it definitely came out of the crowd. Even on TV I could hear an audible, collective gasp as he stayed on the ground following the play. I can only imagine how it felt to be there, watching it. It was probably the most depressing part of a supremely depressing night for Yankees fans.
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 77
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 45
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 26
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 144
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 26
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)