Oct 20, 2010, 8:52 AM EDT
It was painful to watch. And it was downright inspirational to see him do his best to make it to first base. But as he was crumbling towards the bag, I couldn’t help but feel for the guy. As soon as the trainers came out it seemed clear that Mark Teixeira’s game was over. As soon as he needed help to get back to the dugout it seemed like his season was over. And now we know for a fact that it is: Teixeira had an MRI last night and was diagnosed with a Grade 2 hamstring strain that will keep him sidelined for six to eight weeks.
It’s a shame to see his season end like that. Especially given how poorly he hit in the ALCS. Teixeira is so supremely talented a hitter than you just knew he was going to break out of his funk eventually. Maybe with him the daunting task facing the Yankees — coming back from a 3-1 deficit — wouldn’t seem quite as daunting. Even if he didn’t hit a lick the rest of the way, how valuable is that glove at first base?
I don’t believe in signs and portents, but when Teixeira got hurt last night, the air seemed to come out of the Yankees. And it definitely came out of the crowd. Even on TV I could hear an audible, collective gasp as he stayed on the ground following the play. I can only imagine how it felt to be there, watching it. It was probably the most depressing part of a supremely depressing night for Yankees fans.
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 3
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 19
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 87
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 59
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 55
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (87)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)