Oct 20, 2010, 10:49 PM EST
We already know that Tony La Russa will return to managing the St. Louis Cardinals next season. But the future of hitting coach Mark McGwire is far less certain, according to Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.
La Russa on Monday referred to McGwire as “really torn” about whether to return for a second season as hitting coach following the birth June 1 of triplet daughters. McGwire, who has been asked back, last month raised the possibility of not returning because of family concerns. Those issues have become more obvious since McGwire rejoined his wife, Stephanie, and their five children in California, according to La Russa.
“He’s having a real tussle trying to figure it out. Coach? Father? We’ll see which way he goes,” La Russa said. “He’ll definitely be offered a chance to come back.”
I’m sure baseball wives get used to their husbands being away a lot of the time, but with four-month old triplet daughters as part of the equation, you can bet McGwire is getting the full-court press to help out on the home front.
So expect McGwire to sit out next season, unless he hires a nanny or three.
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 39
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 24
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 51
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (92)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)