Oct 20, 2010, 1:06 PM EST
Cubs GM Jim Hendry told David Kaplan of Chicago Now that Ryne Sandberg is welcome to return to the organization as the manager at Class AAA Iowa. Ryne Sandberg tells David Kaplan of Chicago Now that this is the first he’s ever heard of this.
Of course, since he’s been stepped over, Fredo-style, this is all academic, because there’s no way Sandberg is going back to Iowa. But it is rather fun. And by “fun” I mean “the kind of thing that is going to be cited over and over by people with the long knives out for Jim Hendry if an and when Mike Quade fails to return the Cubs to competitiveness.”
While we’re on the subject, my friend Scott Simkus has an interesting take on Ryne Sandberg’s failure to snag the Cubs job and how it compares to another similarly situated Hall of Famer.
- Rockies acquire Brett Anderson from A’s 11
- D’backs, Angels, White Sox agree to three-team Mark Trumbo deal 62
- Ranking MLB managers by . . . handsomeness 74
- Curtis Granderson: “A lot of people have told me real New Yorkers are Mets fans” 60
- The Phillies have told teams they’d trade Cliff Lee and Cole Hamels 53
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi (110)