Oct 20, 2010, 1:06 PM EDT
Cubs GM Jim Hendry told David Kaplan of Chicago Now that Ryne Sandberg is welcome to return to the organization as the manager at Class AAA Iowa. Ryne Sandberg tells David Kaplan of Chicago Now that this is the first he’s ever heard of this.
Of course, since he’s been stepped over, Fredo-style, this is all academic, because there’s no way Sandberg is going back to Iowa. But it is rather fun. And by “fun” I mean “the kind of thing that is going to be cited over and over by people with the long knives out for Jim Hendry if an and when Mike Quade fails to return the Cubs to competitiveness.”
While we’re on the subject, my friend Scott Simkus has an interesting take on Ryne Sandberg’s failure to snag the Cubs job and how it compares to another similarly situated Hall of Famer.
- Clayton Kershaw cleared to begin rehab assignment on Friday at High-A Rancho Cucamonga 1
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension 82
- Mark Trumbo diagnosed with stress fracture in foot 7
- Josh Johnson needs a second Tommy John surgery 21
- Sammy Sosa wasn’t invited to Wrigley Field’s 100th birthday 45