Oct 20, 2010, 10:29 AM EDT
There’s been a lot of talk about fan behavior in these parts over the past couple of days. It’s probably gettin’ played out. Oh, if something happens during the games today we’ll certainly comment on it, but the generalizing about various fan bases is a subject that, however interesting it is, gets old after a while.
So rather than hash over this Philly fan-baiting column from the San Jose Mercury News’ Bruce Newman, I’m simply going to link it and let all of you guys fight about it. It has everything: booing Santa Claus. Booing Mike Schmidt. The taser guy. The intentional vomiter. The guys with those signs from the other day. A gratuitous swipe by Mike Krukow about how there’s nothing else to do in Philly, so of course they have to raise hell at the ballpark. It conveniently fails to mention that there have been several ugly incidents involving Giants fans and Dodgers fans in recent years — some even violent — but Newman is not trying to be even handed here. He’s trying to provoke.
My guess is that he’s going to be highly successful in doing so.
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 7
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 10
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 159
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 20
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 34
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 87
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (172)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)