Oct 20, 2010, 10:29 AM EST
There’s been a lot of talk about fan behavior in these parts over the past couple of days. It’s probably gettin’ played out. Oh, if something happens during the games today we’ll certainly comment on it, but the generalizing about various fan bases is a subject that, however interesting it is, gets old after a while.
So rather than hash over this Philly fan-baiting column from the San Jose Mercury News’ Bruce Newman, I’m simply going to link it and let all of you guys fight about it. It has everything: booing Santa Claus. Booing Mike Schmidt. The taser guy. The intentional vomiter. The guys with those signs from the other day. A gratuitous swipe by Mike Krukow about how there’s nothing else to do in Philly, so of course they have to raise hell at the ballpark. It conveniently fails to mention that there have been several ugly incidents involving Giants fans and Dodgers fans in recent years — some even violent — but Newman is not trying to be even handed here. He’s trying to provoke.
My guess is that he’s going to be highly successful in doing so.
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 8
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 267
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 16
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training 114
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (272)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)