Oct 20, 2010, 10:29 AM EDT
There’s been a lot of talk about fan behavior in these parts over the past couple of days. It’s probably gettin’ played out. Oh, if something happens during the games today we’ll certainly comment on it, but the generalizing about various fan bases is a subject that, however interesting it is, gets old after a while.
So rather than hash over this Philly fan-baiting column from the San Jose Mercury News’ Bruce Newman, I’m simply going to link it and let all of you guys fight about it. It has everything: booing Santa Claus. Booing Mike Schmidt. The taser guy. The intentional vomiter. The guys with those signs from the other day. A gratuitous swipe by Mike Krukow about how there’s nothing else to do in Philly, so of course they have to raise hell at the ballpark. It conveniently fails to mention that there have been several ugly incidents involving Giants fans and Dodgers fans in recent years — some even violent — but Newman is not trying to be even handed here. He’s trying to provoke.
My guess is that he’s going to be highly successful in doing so.
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 6
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 77
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 79
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (88)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)