Oct 20, 2010, 10:29 AM EDT
There’s been a lot of talk about fan behavior in these parts over the past couple of days. It’s probably gettin’ played out. Oh, if something happens during the games today we’ll certainly comment on it, but the generalizing about various fan bases is a subject that, however interesting it is, gets old after a while.
So rather than hash over this Philly fan-baiting column from the San Jose Mercury News’ Bruce Newman, I’m simply going to link it and let all of you guys fight about it. It has everything: booing Santa Claus. Booing Mike Schmidt. The taser guy. The intentional vomiter. The guys with those signs from the other day. A gratuitous swipe by Mike Krukow about how there’s nothing else to do in Philly, so of course they have to raise hell at the ballpark. It conveniently fails to mention that there have been several ugly incidents involving Giants fans and Dodgers fans in recent years — some even violent — but Newman is not trying to be even handed here. He’s trying to provoke.
My guess is that he’s going to be highly successful in doing so.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 26
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 28
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 28
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 60
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)