San Jose Mercury News writer kicks the Philly fan hornet’s nest

Oct 20, 2010, 10:29 AM EDT

Phillies fan taser

There’s been a lot of talk about fan behavior in these parts over the past couple of days. It’s probably gettin’ played out. Oh, if something happens during the games today we’ll certainly comment on it, but the generalizing about various fan bases is a subject that, however interesting it is, gets old after a while.

So rather than hash over this Philly fan-baiting column from the San Jose Mercury News’ Bruce Newman, I’m simply going to link it and let all of you guys fight about it.  It has everything: booing Santa Claus. Booing Mike Schmidt. The taser guy. The intentional vomiter. The guys with those signs from the other day. A gratuitous swipe by Mike Krukow about how there’s nothing else to do in Philly, so of course they have to raise hell at the ballpark.  It conveniently fails to mention that there have been several ugly incidents involving Giants fans and Dodgers fans in recent years — some even violent — but Newman is not trying to be even handed here. He’s trying to provoke.

My guess is that he’s going to be highly successful in doing so.

1. flintmj - Oct 20, 2010 at 10:43 AM

Provoking link not working

• flintmj - Oct 20, 2010 at 11:02 AM

Link now works, but I wish it didn’t. What a bunch of drivel. It is a shame that NO ONE in the national media can look past some (quite a few) incidents and see the fans for what they are. Passionate and hungry for success. Is it so bad?

2. Chris Fiorentino - Oct 20, 2010 at 10:45 AM

Craig, to be honest, we Philly fans are so used to lazy national idiot “journalists” like Bruce Newman that this type of article doesn’t even warrant the click-through that he was hoping to get.

3. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Oct 20, 2010 at 10:47 AM

I won’t say I hate Phillies fans or that I think they are terrible, but I will say SF fans are a pretty good crowd in general, both in football and baseball. I should be instigating here, but I’m not too rowdy today. Let’s just watch some baseball please?

4. pestiesti - Oct 20, 2010 at 10:55 AM

No one from San Jose should be talking trash about cities having nothing to do. You can only go to the Winchester Mystery House so many times and Santana Row does not count as a downtown.

• Old Gator - Oct 20, 2010 at 11:40 AM

Nonsense. The Ghengis Khan exhibit is showing for four more days at the Tech, so you still have time to get down there and be enthralled.

After that, there’ll be nothing to do except sit around waiting, either for the Heyward fault to uncork itself again or for the As to move to town, whichever comes first.

My bet’s on the Heyward Fault, since it doesn’t need to wait for Bud Light to stop dithering.

• Utley's Hair - Oct 20, 2010 at 12:03 PM

Though the cessation of Bud Light’s dithering may in itself uncork all sorts of things like the Apocalypse.

5. Utley's Hair - Oct 20, 2010 at 10:59 AM

Okay. I took the bait. I also stopped reading after the obviously well-researched column written by the surely soon-to-be Pulitzer winning columnist mentioned “…the Schmidt beer that often flows like mother’s milk in Phillies fans…” I almost fell out of my chair laughing so hard. Schmidt? First, it is not Schmidt–he was the best third baseman ever to play the game, and he has nothing to do with the beer. It’s Schmidt’s–as in an ‘s to denote ownership. And what the hell decase is he stuck in? The 70s? The 60s? I think he might have a future in comedic fiction.

6. Jonny 5 - Oct 20, 2010 at 11:03 AM

Ho hum. We only care when Journalists we like talk trash on us. This guy can get bent. Hey, where is the post about the SF fans???? I had to listen on the radio. “signs” were mentioned. They must not have been good because they couldn’t repeat it on air. When is someone going to plunk Ross BTW?? I’m not usually for this, but Cain head hunted Hamels when he was trying to bunt and hit Victorino in the ribs. It’s time to get a little back now.

• Utley's Hair - Oct 20, 2010 at 11:16 AM

Knock back a Schmidt beer or two and you should feel better.

• Jonny 5 - Oct 20, 2010 at 11:26 AM

I’d rather not drink that toilet water. I don’t know anyone who does. I have a very picky taste for beer.

• BC - Oct 20, 2010 at 11:27 AM

Schmidt? Heck no. PBR. Accept no substitutes.

• Chris Fiorentino - Oct 20, 2010 at 11:32 AM

I don’t like New England, but I love me some Sam Adams. When they don’t have that, I’ll grab a Yuengling as it’s the closest thing. Schmidt’s? Why not order a frank’s black cherry wishniak while you are at it LOL.

• Utley's Hair - Oct 20, 2010 at 11:34 AM

I didn’t even know Schmidt’s was still brewed (for want of a better, more appropriate word).

• Jonny 5 - Oct 20, 2010 at 12:03 PM

I can’t drink the Boston lager, it’s too filling for me. But every other brew they make is pretty darned good. The Octoberfest is very tasty, as is the Summer ale and Hefewiezen. I love guiness, Harp, Warstiener Dunkel. I’m weak for their flavor. Yuengling? I drink it as my alternate when I don’t want to shell out extra dough. Yuengling’s Porter and Black and tan are very tasty for the price.

• Utley's Hair - Oct 20, 2010 at 12:06 PM

Damn you. Now I want to blow off work and head for Total Wine in Claymont(?). I guess I should–as a Phightins Phan–pick up a sixer of Schmidt’s.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Oct 20, 2010 at 11:17 AM

On field fights, now THAT is something I can get behind.

7. BC - Oct 20, 2010 at 11:28 AM

Tase anyone who sets foot on the field that should be there. Blast away!

• BC - Oct 20, 2010 at 11:28 AM

EPIC TYPING FAIL BY BC.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Oct 20, 2010 at 5:54 PM

No, he got it right, it’s much funnier this way. :)

• Utley's Hair - Oct 20, 2010 at 11:35 AM

BAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!! Start with the umpires!!!!!!!

• BC - Oct 20, 2010 at 12:06 PM

I can support that!

8. BC - Oct 20, 2010 at 11:28 AM

Tase anyone who sets foot on the field that shouldnt be there. Blast away!

9. Jonny 5 - Oct 20, 2010 at 12:04 PM

And btw… Nothing to do in Philly??? I beg to differ.

• Utley's Hair - Oct 20, 2010 at 12:07 PM

Yeah, man. You can go on a Duck’s ride!!!!!

• Jonny 5 - Oct 20, 2010 at 12:50 PM

Or dodge bullets…..

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Oct 20, 2010 at 5:55 PM

South Street is fantastic.

• Panda Claus - Oct 20, 2010 at 3:07 PM

OK, so they had the two cheesesteak places on “Food Feud” last week. It may have been a rerun, but it was new to me. Forgive me if I get the names wrong, but which one has the best sandwich, Geno’s or Pat’s? I think the cheez-whiz sub won the trophy, but that was just the host picking who wins.

Speaking of Rerun, does anyone else think Sandoval from the Giants looks like Rerun from “What’s Happening?”

• Utley's Hair - Oct 20, 2010 at 3:30 PM

Jonny disagrees, but I say Jim’s. Geno’s and Pat’s are tourist traps that are nowhere near as good as Jim’s.

• Panda Claus - Oct 21, 2010 at 12:32 PM

Thanks Utley. I’ve yet to find a decent cheesesteak near me, although The Big W (Jerry’s Subs) is the best one I’ve found locally.

I may have to make a drive up there to see what I’m missing.

Harper vs. Trout? It's just the opening act