Oct 20, 2010, 9:16 AM EDT
While most fans who run on the field during ballgames are either drunk, attention whores or both, it seems like the one who jumped on the field at Yankee Stadium during Game 3 was a different kettle of fish: he was nuts. And likely dangerous.
According to the New York Post, the fan, Grim LeRogue — who legally changed his name from Joe Rogan (!) — was carrying pictures with him when he jumped on the field. One of them was a picture of A-Rod with an X written over his face and a picture of a gun pointed at his head. Also written on the picture were the words “you have to go bud, you’ve ruined too many of our white queens.” This reference was apparently in relation to A-Rod dating Cameron Diaz, pictures of whom LeRogue also had. Oh, and on those he had written “we shall be together soon.” And, for a final bonus, he had pics of Osama bin Laden with him, with pledges of loyalty written on them.
Good work by the New York police and stadium security for getting to this guy before he could get near anyone. I want in my heart of hearts to believe that he’s just a pathetic nut who wouldn’t have truly done any harm to A-Rod or anyone else — he didn’t have a weapon him when he made his break — but frankly, I feel a lot better when trespassers are drunk knuckleheads, not obsessives.
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 5
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 81
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 75
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 72
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (81)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)