Oct 20, 2010, 9:16 AM EDT
While most fans who run on the field during ballgames are either drunk, attention whores or both, it seems like the one who jumped on the field at Yankee Stadium during Game 3 was a different kettle of fish: he was nuts. And likely dangerous.
According to the New York Post, the fan, Grim LeRogue — who legally changed his name from Joe Rogan (!) — was carrying pictures with him when he jumped on the field. One of them was a picture of A-Rod with an X written over his face and a picture of a gun pointed at his head. Also written on the picture were the words “you have to go bud, you’ve ruined too many of our white queens.” This reference was apparently in relation to A-Rod dating Cameron Diaz, pictures of whom LeRogue also had. Oh, and on those he had written “we shall be together soon.” And, for a final bonus, he had pics of Osama bin Laden with him, with pledges of loyalty written on them.
Good work by the New York police and stadium security for getting to this guy before he could get near anyone. I want in my heart of hearts to believe that he’s just a pathetic nut who wouldn’t have truly done any harm to A-Rod or anyone else — he didn’t have a weapon him when he made his break — but frankly, I feel a lot better when trespassers are drunk knuckleheads, not obsessives.
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 14
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 75
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 29
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 45
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 29
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry (88)