Oct 20, 2010, 12:47 PM EST
Kelly Thesier of MLB.com writes that the Twins “will likely decline” their $5 million team option on Nick Punto for 2011.
Under normal circumstances not paying $5 million for a 33-year-old utility man who hit .238/.313/.302 this season and .247/.321/.322 for his career would be a no-brainer, but these circumstances aren’t normal.
After all, Minnesota has paid him $4 million in each of the past two years and … well, I just can’t see Ron Gardenhire letting his favorite diminutive, banjo-hitting, false-hustling infielder leave the organization without a fight.
Punto’s deal includes a $500,000 buyout of the option and my guess is the Twins will try to negotiate a new deal for around $2 million or so.
Nov 28, 2014, 6:05 PM EST
The White Sox signed speedster Tony Campana to a minor league deal.
Nov 28, 2014, 4:42 PM EST
It’s one and done in the booth for the old lefty.
Nov 28, 2014, 1:00 PM EST
That is, if he makes the rotation.
Nov 28, 2014, 12:23 PM EST
Crow made the All-Star team as a rookie in 2011.
Nov 28, 2014, 12:00 PM EST
And he’d like you to tell him who’s a better option.
Nov 28, 2014, 11:00 AM EST
He’s reportedly uninjured, though details are scarce at the moment.
Nov 28, 2014, 10:47 AM EST
Barring some trades he’ll fill a middle relief role for the bullpen-rich Royals in 2015.
Nov 28, 2014, 10:15 AM EST
“Their interest in the lefty appears as much opportunistic as enthusiastic.”
Nov 28, 2014, 9:30 AM EST
It’s an artificial turf thing.
Nov 28, 2014, 8:15 AM EST
Won’t somebody think of A.J. Hinch’s children?
Nov 27, 2014, 9:20 PM EST
The AL Central seems to be particularly fond of free agent pitcher Justin Masterson.
Nov 27, 2014, 8:15 PM EST
The Padres have three worthy catchers and all of them are drawing trade interest.
Nov 27, 2014, 7:10 PM EST
Billy Butler, now with the Athletics, thanked Royals fans for an “amazing ride” in Kansas City.
Nov 27, 2014, 6:05 PM EST
A couple more options have appeared on the Marlins’ radar for an upgrade at first base.
Nov 27, 2014, 4:00 PM EST
Your one-stop shop for all of the offseason signings.
Nov 27, 2014, 10:15 AM EST
Martinez was passed over for the manager job in Tampa Bay.
Nov 26, 2014, 10:04 PM EST
Here’s the farewell Instagram post from third baseman Pablo Sandoval, who signed a five-year, $98 million free agent contract with the Red Sox earlier this week …
Nov 26, 2014, 8:18 PM EST
Jackson was limited to 11 minor league games in 2014 due to a right wrist injury that ultimately required surgery.
Nov 26, 2014, 6:43 PM EST
From FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal comes word that the Padres have shown interest in trading for Dodgers outfielder Matt Kemp …
Nov 26, 2014, 5:10 PM EST
The Dbacks were not in the picture until very recently. But better late than never.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 87
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 163
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (163)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)