Zack Greinke can block a trade to 15 teams in 2011

Oct 20, 2010, 4:45 PM EDT

Zack Greinke

As the Royals drop more and more hints that they’ll be entertaining offers for Zack Greinke this winter Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com passes along the details of Greinke’s no-trade clause.

According to Morosi, he has the right to block a trade to a pre-selected list of 20 teams through the end of this year. Next year that number drops to 15 teams and he has zero ability to block a trade in 2012, which is the final season of his four-year, $38 million contract.

Morosi notes that Greinke has picked primarily large-market teams to include on his no-trade list, which is smart given that those are the teams most likely to deal for him and the $13.5 million he’s owed in each of the next two years. This season, for instance, the Rays weren’t on his list of blocked teams, but the Yankees and Red Sox were.

1. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Oct 20, 2010 at 4:49 PM

Also, Greinke most definitely can’t handle the big time media blitz he’d see in a lot of big market towns. He can never be a “true yankee” due to this fact (ha!). The dude was a head case prior to getting his shizz together and winning a Cy Young.

• JBerardi - Oct 20, 2010 at 5:09 PM

Yeah, but he got his shizz together and won a Cy. I’ll take the guy who’s been through the ringer and came out stronger on the other side any day.

• professorperry - Oct 20, 2010 at 5:22 PM

He has a block to the Red Sox and Yanks (and other big money teams) so his agent can re-negotiate for more $$$ if he is traded there. It’s not about fear.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Oct 20, 2010 at 5:38 PM

I hear you. I think he could probably handle a big market team’s media attention, but I am not confident he’d excel in any one of those big market locations. Although, I hate seeing his talent wasted in KC that’s for sure.

2. Chris Fiorentino - Oct 20, 2010 at 4:55 PM

He needs to stick to teams that don’t make the postseason. He would probably end up crying in the fetal position if he is due to pitch a big game in the playoffs. Sad but true.

• friarfan - Oct 20, 2010 at 8:26 PM

You are rediculous. The second he becomes a Phillie, he’ll suddenly be the greatest pitcher of all time.

3. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Oct 20, 2010 at 5:09 PM

I think if Zach’s head wasn’t put back together entirely, he wouldn’t be here in the first place, and he sure as heck wouldn’t have won a Cy Young. I think that while he probably wouldn’t be ecstatic about the east coast limelight, I don’t think he’d drop a deuce in his pants about it either.

I’d love to see the Cubs get him, but the Reds, Nationals, Tigers and Diamondbacks are likely spots.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Oct 20, 2010 at 5:35 PM

I’d love the Cubs to get him too. I miss going to Wrigley (best park in baseball despite the toilet issues) and actually watching baseball.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Oct 20, 2010 at 5:44 PM

There’s nothing like it, eh?

4. shawon0meter - Oct 20, 2010 at 8:19 PM

I’d love to see him go to the Cubs as well

But seeing as how the Cubs owner has no intention of winning games, I hope he goes to the Twins.

5. metalhead65 - Oct 21, 2010 at 12:15 AM

I would love to see the reds get him so their pitchers could see a young starter like themselves can go more than 5 innings in a game. but then dusty would leave him in for 9 innings every start and ruin his arm.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (2804)