And That Happened: LCS edition

Oct 21, 2010, 5:57 AM EDT

Philadelphia Phillies v San Francisco Giants, Game 4 Getty Images

Giants 6, Phillies 5: Buster. Posey. Just a 4 for 5 night with a key defensive play behind the plate. Thank God he fixed all of those shortcomings that kept him in the minors back in April and May. Juan Uribe had a walkoff sac fly. Thank God his wrist was well enough to play.  And what happened to Charlie Manuel and Bruce Bochy? Bochy had been pretty solid in this playoffs so far, but I felt like pulling Bumgarner as early as he did was strange. Manuel too seemed to be all antsy, pulling Jose Contreras after he faced only one hitter and using Oswalt in the ninth when he has a closer in Brad Lidge who has been pitching well. But ultimately those are quibbles. This may not have been the best-played or best-managed game of the playoffs — indeed, it may have been far from it — but it may have been the playoffs’ most entertaining game.  Now all that stands between the Giants and the World Series is Roy Halladay.

Yankees 7, Rangers 2: The Bombers finally found their boomsticks. And the Rangers — who told fans yesterday afternoon that they could meet the team back at the airport in Dallas after they arrive following the game — were maybe caught looking ahead. Worse, Nelson Cruz had to leave the game early with a tight hamstring. It’s still their series to lose, I think — they have Cliff Lee in their back pocket after all — but if they drop Game 6 on Friday, you have to wonder if there will be enough crowbars in all of Texas to pry loose the clenched orifices of the Rangers and their fans.

1. Old Gator - Oct 21, 2010 at 7:43 AM

Thank who? Since when did you become so superstitious, Craig?

• hasbeen5 - Oct 21, 2010 at 8:55 AM

Not every post requires ripping something that might go against what you believe.

• Jonny 5 - Oct 21, 2010 at 9:57 AM

I don’t think I know a single baseball fan that isn’t superstitious. He probably wears his briefs backwards for every braves game. Or some stink hat his wife won’t touch, unless it’s to throw it away, which would cause severe repercussions because it’s a “lucky hat”. C’mon Gator, I know you are superstitious about something..

• Utley's Hair - Oct 21, 2010 at 11:40 AM

I think their predicament may be a tad my fault, since I somehow have gone the last two games WITHOUT drinking…I feel like making up for that right now, but my boss tends to frown on that almost as much as not getting any work done.

• Richard In Big D - Oct 21, 2010 at 11:54 AM

DJ Short isn’t at all superstitious. In fact, he thinks baseball superstitions are stupid.

2. Kevin S. - Oct 21, 2010 at 8:03 AM

No Craig, the Phillies are going to win the next three. Fiorentino already told me the Phillies were the 2010 WS champions, and he couldn’t possibly have been wrong about that, could he?

3. TomTom - Oct 21, 2010 at 8:17 AM

Hey Craig – what was the score again?

4. Jonny 5 - Oct 21, 2010 at 8:33 AM

Well now this is a fine pickle you’ve gotten yourself into now Cholly. Is it me, or does Joe Buck sound entirely too pleased when Philly loses?

• Kevin S. - Oct 21, 2010 at 8:52 AM

Really? He does know it’s a ratings nightmare if his network gets Giants-Rangers, right?

• Jonny 5 - Oct 21, 2010 at 9:11 AM

Like he cares??? He’ll collect the same pay check no matter what. And he’ll have a good excuse. ” It wasn’t me, look at the matchup.” Buck hates Philly. McCarver hasn’t been as annoying hasbeen5. Maybe it’s because he isn’t talking as much?

• Utley's Hair - Oct 21, 2010 at 11:38 AM

While it doesn’t matter that FOX will suffer the low ratings, Joe Schmuck may let up a little on the Phightins, since he knows that three more games will give him three more games to yammer on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on…

• hasbeen5 - Oct 21, 2010 at 9:00 AM

Ya know, McCarver hasn’t annoyed me as much this series as he usually does. Did he get better or am I getting soft on announcer critiques?

• TomTom - Oct 21, 2010 at 9:00 AM

He’s annoyed me just as much as ever. You must be getting soft.

• Utley's Hair - Oct 21, 2010 at 11:52 AM

I couldn’t tell you, since my defense mechanism to his talking is to automatically translate it into a dentist’s drill accompanied by nails down a chalkboard for Joe Schmuck–you should try it. It maks the game much more enjoyable.

5. Kevin S. - Oct 21, 2010 at 9:10 AM

No matter what winds up happening in ALCS, it needs to be remembered for showcasing two of the leading MVP candidates, going mano-a-mano throughout the series. Until last night, Cano was the Yankees’ offense, and Hamilton’s been at the center of everything they’ve done this series. I’m definitely looking for one of them to break the LCS home run record, and whoever advances should wind up taking a run at the Bonds/Beltran HR-in-a-postseason record.

6. Ari Collins - Oct 21, 2010 at 9:42 AM

Shouldn’t it be “orifii”? Heh.

Also, the issue wasn’t keeping Posey down in the minors, that was obviously a get-an-extra-year-of-the-guy, which almost always makes sense. No, the issue was barely playing him for a while when they called him up. Same sort of shit kept Posada’s career from getting started until he was like 28. And, oddly enough, it was Joe Girardi, banjo-hitting Yankee catcher, who stood in his way.

7. schmedley69 - Oct 21, 2010 at 9:54 AM

I hope that someone wakes Charlie up in the dugout the next time he falls asleep at the wheel during the game. One of the most poorly managed games that I’ve ever seen out of a Phillies manager. Just a horrible game, Charlie.

When home-field advantage isn't so
  1. T. Lincecum (3222)