Oct 21, 2010, 5:57 AM EDT
Giants 6, Phillies 5: Buster. Posey. Just a 4 for 5 night with a key defensive play behind the plate. Thank God he fixed all of those shortcomings that kept him in the minors back in April and May. Juan Uribe had a walkoff sac fly. Thank God his wrist was well enough to play. And what happened to Charlie Manuel and Bruce Bochy? Bochy had been pretty solid in this playoffs so far, but I felt like pulling Bumgarner as early as he did was strange. Manuel too seemed to be all antsy, pulling Jose Contreras after he faced only one hitter and using Oswalt in the ninth when he has a closer in Brad Lidge who has been pitching well. But ultimately those are quibbles. This may not have been the best-played or best-managed game of the playoffs — indeed, it may have been far from it — but it may have been the playoffs’ most entertaining game. Now all that stands between the Giants and the World Series is Roy Halladay.
Yankees 7, Rangers 2: The Bombers finally found their boomsticks. And the Rangers — who told fans yesterday afternoon that they could meet the team back at the airport in Dallas after they arrive following the game — were maybe caught looking ahead. Worse, Nelson Cruz had to leave the game early with a tight hamstring. It’s still their series to lose, I think — they have Cliff Lee in their back pocket after all — but if they drop Game 6 on Friday, you have to wonder if there will be enough crowbars in all of Texas to pry loose the clenched orifices of the Rangers and their fans.
- Nelson Cruz, Adrian Gonzalez named Players of the Month 2
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 94
- Report: Brewers hire Craig Counsell to replace Ron Roenicke 26
- Brewers fire manager Ron Roenicke 54
- Jordan Walden lands on disabled list with biceps injury 11
- Rays place outfielder Desmond Jennings on 15-day disabled list with bursitis in his left knee 1
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring 139
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (363)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (201)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (162)
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (139)
- The Orioles will play to no fans tomorrow; this weekend’s series will move to Tropicana Field (125)