Oct 21, 2010, 9:35 AM EDT
Super prospect Bryce Harper made his professional debut in Scottsdale last night. The results: interesting. According to Keith Law, he was 1 for 4, with one of those outs being a ridiculously high fly ball. The hit was a double that was scorched. He apparently put on a show in batting practice. The raw power of this kid is amazing. He’s 18. He’s going to get stronger. He already can hit the ball 500 feet. Mercy.
The concern: he was super aggressive, first-pitch swinging and getting out ahead of pitches, even in batting practice. That’s going to be noted soon and he’s going to get so much junk thrown his way it’ll make his head spin. Based on his recent interviews, he seems impossibly eager to go out and run through brick walls and stuff. You have to assume a lot of this is a function of basically not playing baseball for five months. You also have to assume he’ll get over it soon and start putting on a real show.
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 8
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 4
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 14
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 21
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 62
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 49
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (131)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)