Oct 21, 2010, 9:35 AM EDT
Super prospect Bryce Harper made his professional debut in Scottsdale last night. The results: interesting. According to Keith Law, he was 1 for 4, with one of those outs being a ridiculously high fly ball. The hit was a double that was scorched. He apparently put on a show in batting practice. The raw power of this kid is amazing. He’s 18. He’s going to get stronger. He already can hit the ball 500 feet. Mercy.
The concern: he was super aggressive, first-pitch swinging and getting out ahead of pitches, even in batting practice. That’s going to be noted soon and he’s going to get so much junk thrown his way it’ll make his head spin. Based on his recent interviews, he seems impossibly eager to go out and run through brick walls and stuff. You have to assume a lot of this is a function of basically not playing baseball for five months. You also have to assume he’ll get over it soon and start putting on a real show.
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 0
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 22
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 11
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)