Oct 21, 2010, 3:49 PM EST
As if Jose Bautista hitting 54 homers this season wasn’t an amazing enough feat, now it turns out he did most of that slugging with a hernia.
Bautista underwent surgery to repair a sports hernia today and is expected to be out of commission for 4-6 weeks, leaving him plenty of time to get healthy for spring training.
Jordan Bastian of MLB.com reports that Bautista “tolerated discomfort due to the injury since May.” Seriously.
Taking a look at his numbers after, say, June 1, he smacked 38 homers and 23 doubles in 386 at-bats, which is good for a .624 slugging percentage that ranked third in all of baseball during that time behind only Josh Hamilton at .712 and Carlos Gonzalez at .641.
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 16
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 179
- Report: Pablo Sandoval and the Red Sox agree to a five-year deal at close to $100 million 103
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 34
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 25
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (200)
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)