Oct 21, 2010, 8:39 PM EDT
Giants fans couldn’t have asked for a better start.
The remaining members of the San Francisco-based Grateful Dead belted out the National Anthem in style, starter Tim Lincecum retired the Phillies in order in the first inning and the rain that settled over AT&T Park during pregame festivities was light and nonthreatening.
Then Andres Torres drew a walk against Phillies ace Roy Halladay in the bottom of the first inning, Freddy Sanchez followed with a single and Torres scored moments later when rookie catcher Buster Posey grounded into a fielder’s choice.
Lincecum came out in the top of the second and again established his dominance, striking out both Ryan Howard and Jayson Werth before inducing a groundout from Phillies shortstop Jimmy Rollins. “The Freak” has held opposing hitters to a .228/.301/.326 batting line in 123 career games at home and is looking awfully comfortable out there tonight.
Halladay, meanwhile, has already reached 43 pitches in two innings of work.
In a game that features two of baseball’s top pitchers, a 1-0 lead might mean big things. That’s exactly what the Giants have as this NLCS Game 5 moves to the third.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 30
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 86
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 85
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 164
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (164)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (123)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)