Oct 21, 2010, 3:16 PM EDT
Robert Castillo created the “Rally Monkey” in 2000 when he was the Angels’ production manager, but the team fired him in 2007 and he’s been out of work since. And now he’s trying to sell his World Series ring from 2002 for $19,000.
Here’s what Castillo told Darren Rovell of CNBC:
Having been out of work for nearly three years and unable to find work has left me in debt and on the brink of total financial ruin. The World Series ring is the only item I own of value. It’s been a long time now since I felt the goose bumps from a deafening crowd at the Big-A.
I’m just another statistic now. But when people walk into the Hall of Fame in Cooperstown and see a stuffed Rally Monkey doll in the case honoring the Angels championship, they will see that I truly left my mark in this world.
Prior to being fired Castillo spent 14 years in the Angels organization. I’m sure the team had their reasons for firing him, but it is sad to see a guy in such rough financial shape when the thing he created for his former employers is no doubt bringing in tons of merchandising revenue every season.
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 0
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 21
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 66
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 28
- Marlins might move in and lower the fences at Marlins Park 26
- Astros beat the suddenly skidding Yankees, top last year’s win total 30
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week 134
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)