Oct 21, 2010, 3:16 PM EDT
Robert Castillo created the “Rally Monkey” in 2000 when he was the Angels’ production manager, but the team fired him in 2007 and he’s been out of work since. And now he’s trying to sell his World Series ring from 2002 for $19,000.
Here’s what Castillo told Darren Rovell of CNBC:
Having been out of work for nearly three years and unable to find work has left me in debt and on the brink of total financial ruin. The World Series ring is the only item I own of value. It’s been a long time now since I felt the goose bumps from a deafening crowd at the Big-A.
I’m just another statistic now. But when people walk into the Hall of Fame in Cooperstown and see a stuffed Rally Monkey doll in the case honoring the Angels championship, they will see that I truly left my mark in this world.
Prior to being fired Castillo spent 14 years in the Angels organization. I’m sure the team had their reasons for firing him, but it is sad to see a guy in such rough financial shape when the thing he created for his former employers is no doubt bringing in tons of merchandising revenue every season.
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 15
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 238
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 3
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 141
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 40
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 98
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (248)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (156)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)