Fired by Angels, Rally Monkey creator selling World Series ring

Oct 21, 2010, 3:16 PM EDT

rally monkey

Robert Castillo created the “Rally Monkey” in 2000 when he was the Angels’ production manager, but the team fired him in 2007 and he’s been out of work since. And now he’s trying to sell his World Series ring from 2002 for $19,000.

Here’s what Castillo told Darren Rovell of CNBC:

Having been out of work for nearly three years and unable to find work has left me in debt and on the brink of total financial ruin. The World Series ring is the only item I own of value. It’s been a long time now since I felt the goose bumps from a deafening crowd at the Big-A.

I’m just another statistic now. But when people walk into the Hall of Fame in Cooperstown and see a stuffed Rally Monkey doll in the case honoring the Angels championship, they will see that I truly left my mark in this world.

Prior to being fired Castillo spent 14 years in the Angels organization. I’m sure the team had their reasons for firing him, but it is sad to see a guy in such rough financial shape when the thing he created for his former employers is no doubt bringing in tons of merchandising revenue every season.

1. skerney - Oct 21, 2010 at 3:50 PM

I’ll trade him my 2007 Southern League Championship ring for his WS ring. OR better yet, Scott Spezio should buy it to help him out.

2. granted42 - Oct 21, 2010 at 4:35 PM

I’m sure Barry Bonds will be willing to buy it from him.

3. Gobias Industries - Oct 21, 2010 at 4:58 PM

“Having been out of work for nearly three years and unable to find work has left me in debt and on the brink of total financial ruin…It’s been a long time now since I felt the goose bumps from a deafening crowd at the Big-A…I’m just another statistic now.”

Dear Lord, that’s the most depressing thing I’ve ever read. I wish I was a Hollywood screenwriter. Citizen Kane Part 2 anybody?

4. Richard In Big D - Oct 21, 2010 at 5:01 PM

Sad, indeed. I hope the creator of the “Claw and Antlers” has a better deal.

5. skerney - Oct 21, 2010 at 5:16 PM

LA Angels fan should all chip in to help a guy out. That monkey has made LAA millions!

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. R. Castillo (3230)