Oct 21, 2010, 3:16 PM EDT
Robert Castillo created the “Rally Monkey” in 2000 when he was the Angels’ production manager, but the team fired him in 2007 and he’s been out of work since. And now he’s trying to sell his World Series ring from 2002 for $19,000.
Here’s what Castillo told Darren Rovell of CNBC:
Having been out of work for nearly three years and unable to find work has left me in debt and on the brink of total financial ruin. The World Series ring is the only item I own of value. It’s been a long time now since I felt the goose bumps from a deafening crowd at the Big-A.
I’m just another statistic now. But when people walk into the Hall of Fame in Cooperstown and see a stuffed Rally Monkey doll in the case honoring the Angels championship, they will see that I truly left my mark in this world.
Prior to being fired Castillo spent 14 years in the Angels organization. I’m sure the team had their reasons for firing him, but it is sad to see a guy in such rough financial shape when the thing he created for his former employers is no doubt bringing in tons of merchandising revenue every season.
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 2
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 49
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 28
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 37
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 7
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 10
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (105)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)