Oct 21, 2010, 12:47 PM EDT
Last season Jonny Gomes hit .267/.338/.541 with 20 homers in 314 plate appearances as a part-time player and the Reds non-tendered him prior to arbitration, re-signing him to a one-year, $800,000 deal with a team option for 2011.
This season Gomes hit .266/.327/.431 with 18 homers in 571 plate appearances as a full-time player, watching his OPS drop by 121 points, and general manager Walt Jocketty said yesterday that the Reds “probably will” exercise their $1.75 million to bring him back.
I’m not sure how that series of events really makes any sense, but as a right-handed hitter with a .790 career OPS and 25 homers per 500 at-bats Gomes is worth $1.75 million in 2011. He shouldn’t be an everyday player again, because his defense is awful in left field and he’s always struggled against right-handed pitching, but even for merely a platoon player and bench bat to knock around southpaws that’s a reasonable salary.
Plus, just having his hair and fashion sense on the team is likely worth a few hundred thousand bucks a year.
- Rangers catcher Geovany Soto arrested for marijuana possession 52
- Babe Ruth made his major league debut 100 years ago today 46
- Rockies owner: “maybe Denver doesn’t deserve a franchise . . . maybe time for it to find a new home” 76
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 33
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow 112
- Yadier Molina to miss 8-12 weeks with a torn thumb ligament 31
- Carlos Beltran placed on concussion disabled list after batting practice mishap 16
- Derek Jeter is the most popular MLB jersey this year 16
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (190)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow (113)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (102)