Oct 21, 2010, 9:22 AM EDT
At some point, some intrepid journalist is going to write the definitive story about what, exactly, bench coaches do. Because I really don’t know. I mean, Don Zimmer was the first one I even remember anyone talking about, and the best I could tell was that he was used by the Yankees to remind the Red Sox of their past failures. And to kick a little Pedro Martinez butt when necessary. But as far as what they do in a game or before a game or whatever? Beats the hell out of me.
I mention this because the Dodgers are apparently going to hire Trey Hillman as their bench coach. Hillman is a nice guy. He was a pretty bad manager in Kansas City, but he was a nice guy. Given Don Mattingly’s seeming shakiness with the nuts and bolts of actually, you know, managing a game, however, you’d think you’d rather have a solid tactician on the bench than a nice guy.
But again, that all assumes that bench coaches do anything. And really, I have no idea what purpose they serve.
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 90
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 63
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 36
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (104)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)