Oct 21, 2010, 9:22 AM EST
At some point, some intrepid journalist is going to write the definitive story about what, exactly, bench coaches do. Because I really don’t know. I mean, Don Zimmer was the first one I even remember anyone talking about, and the best I could tell was that he was used by the Yankees to remind the Red Sox of their past failures. And to kick a little Pedro Martinez butt when necessary. But as far as what they do in a game or before a game or whatever? Beats the hell out of me.
I mention this because the Dodgers are apparently going to hire Trey Hillman as their bench coach. Hillman is a nice guy. He was a pretty bad manager in Kansas City, but he was a nice guy. Given Don Mattingly’s seeming shakiness with the nuts and bolts of actually, you know, managing a game, however, you’d think you’d rather have a solid tactician on the bench than a nice guy.
But again, that all assumes that bench coaches do anything. And really, I have no idea what purpose they serve.
- Matt Harvey makes his return. And he was really impressive. 15
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 34
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (379)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (146)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)