Oct 21, 2010, 9:22 AM EDT
At some point, some intrepid journalist is going to write the definitive story about what, exactly, bench coaches do. Because I really don’t know. I mean, Don Zimmer was the first one I even remember anyone talking about, and the best I could tell was that he was used by the Yankees to remind the Red Sox of their past failures. And to kick a little Pedro Martinez butt when necessary. But as far as what they do in a game or before a game or whatever? Beats the hell out of me.
I mention this because the Dodgers are apparently going to hire Trey Hillman as their bench coach. Hillman is a nice guy. He was a pretty bad manager in Kansas City, but he was a nice guy. Given Don Mattingly’s seeming shakiness with the nuts and bolts of actually, you know, managing a game, however, you’d think you’d rather have a solid tactician on the bench than a nice guy.
But again, that all assumes that bench coaches do anything. And really, I have no idea what purpose they serve.
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 5
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 92
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 13
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 55
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 13
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (115)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (93)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)