Why Kirk Gibson is selling his stuff

Oct 21, 2010, 2:00 PM EDT

kirk gibson tips cap

Remember how Kirk Gibson is selling a bunch of memorabilia, including the bat from the home run in the 1988 World Series? Today he tells the Detroit News why he’s doing it.  Part of it is charitable. Some of it seems like he would just like the money. But one part of it all resonates with me, and that’s his comment about how he has the memories locked in his head, so why keep the memorabilia?

I’ve always been that way. I’m not someone who casts aside everything, but I’m not a big totem keeper. Trophies or awards or keepsakes or what have you just don’t play a big role in my life. I have some things in boxes, but if you came into Chez Calcaterra you’d see an acceptable number of family pictures a couple of sentimental knicknacks and that’s really about it.  The baseball cards and sports memorabilia I keep around is more a matter of being too lazy to do anything with it than actually desiring to keep most of it.  It was all in my parents’ house until they dumped it at my house when they moved.  If it wouldn’t cost me an arm and a leg I’d ship it all to my brother tomorrow.

I understand I’m in the minority here. I wrote about autographs a couple of years ago and just about everyone disagreed with me then.  I just think that you remember the truly memorable things anyway. And while it’s nice to have your memory jogged a bit by a souvenir or memento of the occasion, keeping around too much of the past can prevent a person from keeping their eyes on the future.

1. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Oct 21, 2010 at 2:46 PM

I’d at least keep the bat.

2. bxcheer - Oct 21, 2010 at 3:16 PM

Craig, I’m with you. The entire autograph thing puzzles me.
    The first Yankee game that my Dad ever took me to was in August of 1972, a scheduled double header no less, (with 8 kids Dad was all about bang for the buck). In the first game Lou Pinella who was still with the Royals, hit a three run homer off Sparky Lyle. I was standing there with my glove waiting for it to come down when at the last moment my big brother reached over a snatched it away.

My brother tried to get Lyle to sign the ball but his response at the time isn’t printable. He still had the ball in 74 when Pinella became a Yankee but was never able to get him to sign it. I’ve told the story about that incident a hundred times but if I couldn’t remember it for some reason having a ball with Pinell’s or Lyle’s autograph certainly wouldn’t help.

3. nfieldr - Oct 21, 2010 at 3:24 PM

The A’s have always been my AL team and I had season tickets when I lived in the Bay Area (including ’88 and ’89). I wish I had the money to buy the bat so that I could burn it. I still can’t watch Gibby limp around the bases even now 22 years later.

4. wihalofan - Oct 21, 2010 at 3:26 PM

Sorry Craig, I disagree, or at least I feel differently. I have a foul ball from the last game I attended with my dad. This was more than 15 years ago, and I remember it like it was yesterday. Yet when I hold that ball the memories are, for lack of a better word, “intensified”. There’s no way that ball would ever be sold.

5. The Rabbit - Oct 21, 2010 at 6:25 PM

I believed exactly as you did when I was your age.
    Now that I’m old enough to be your mother and have had many more experiences and “adventures”, I’m sorry I didn’t keep a few more things. It’s amazing how much stuff you forget as time passes and the smallest thing can remind you of an incredible time.
    Note: I am referring to personal events/”milestones” and not buying some collectable.

Pujols deal still worth it to Angels?
  1. I. Davis (4017)