Oct 21, 2010, 2:19 PM EDT
Just prior to the July 31 trading deadline the Yankees acquired Kerry Wood from the Indians for what was believed to be a player to be named later or cash. Today the two sides completed the trade and it turns out Cleveland gets two players: Right-hander Andrew Shive and infielder Matt Cusick.
Cusick was the Astros’ 10th-round pick in 2007 and came to the Yankees in a mid-2008 trade for LaTroy Hawkins. He hit just .243/.318/.342 in 88 games between Double-A and Triple-A as a 24-year-old this season, so he’s a long shot to have any sort of big-league career.
Shive was the Yankees’ 35th-round pick in 2008, but missed all of 2009 following arm surgery and struggled at Single-A in his return this season. He posted some nice numbers in the low minors prior to the injury, but like Cusick the 6-foot-6, 260-pound right-hander is far from a significant prospect. Cleveland also saved about $1.5 million in the swap.
As for Wood, he posted a 0.69 ERA in 26 innings for the Yankees in the regular season and has allowed one run in six innings so far this postseason. His contract has a sure-to-be-declined $11 million option for 2011.
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 0
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 8
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 23
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 17
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 23
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 43
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 11
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (264)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)