Oct 21, 2010, 2:19 PM EDT
Just prior to the July 31 trading deadline the Yankees acquired Kerry Wood from the Indians for what was believed to be a player to be named later or cash. Today the two sides completed the trade and it turns out Cleveland gets two players: Right-hander Andrew Shive and infielder Matt Cusick.
Cusick was the Astros’ 10th-round pick in 2007 and came to the Yankees in a mid-2008 trade for LaTroy Hawkins. He hit just .243/.318/.342 in 88 games between Double-A and Triple-A as a 24-year-old this season, so he’s a long shot to have any sort of big-league career.
Shive was the Yankees’ 35th-round pick in 2008, but missed all of 2009 following arm surgery and struggled at Single-A in his return this season. He posted some nice numbers in the low minors prior to the injury, but like Cusick the 6-foot-6, 260-pound right-hander is far from a significant prospect. Cleveland also saved about $1.5 million in the swap.
As for Wood, he posted a 0.69 ERA in 26 innings for the Yankees in the regular season and has allowed one run in six innings so far this postseason. His contract has a sure-to-be-declined $11 million option for 2011.
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 15
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 43
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 22
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 50
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 15
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (76)