Oct 21, 2010, 2:19 PM EDT
Just prior to the July 31 trading deadline the Yankees acquired Kerry Wood from the Indians for what was believed to be a player to be named later or cash. Today the two sides completed the trade and it turns out Cleveland gets two players: Right-hander Andrew Shive and infielder Matt Cusick.
Cusick was the Astros’ 10th-round pick in 2007 and came to the Yankees in a mid-2008 trade for LaTroy Hawkins. He hit just .243/.318/.342 in 88 games between Double-A and Triple-A as a 24-year-old this season, so he’s a long shot to have any sort of big-league career.
Shive was the Yankees’ 35th-round pick in 2008, but missed all of 2009 following arm surgery and struggled at Single-A in his return this season. He posted some nice numbers in the low minors prior to the injury, but like Cusick the 6-foot-6, 260-pound right-hander is far from a significant prospect. Cleveland also saved about $1.5 million in the swap.
As for Wood, he posted a 0.69 ERA in 26 innings for the Yankees in the regular season and has allowed one run in six innings so far this postseason. His contract has a sure-to-be-declined $11 million option for 2011.
- Dave Dombrowski on Miguel Cabrera: “It’s worse than what we ever would have anticipated” 0
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 3
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 31
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 2
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 12
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 13
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)