Oct 21, 2010, 2:19 PM EDT
Just prior to the July 31 trading deadline the Yankees acquired Kerry Wood from the Indians for what was believed to be a player to be named later or cash. Today the two sides completed the trade and it turns out Cleveland gets two players: Right-hander Andrew Shive and infielder Matt Cusick.
Cusick was the Astros’ 10th-round pick in 2007 and came to the Yankees in a mid-2008 trade for LaTroy Hawkins. He hit just .243/.318/.342 in 88 games between Double-A and Triple-A as a 24-year-old this season, so he’s a long shot to have any sort of big-league career.
Shive was the Yankees’ 35th-round pick in 2008, but missed all of 2009 following arm surgery and struggled at Single-A in his return this season. He posted some nice numbers in the low minors prior to the injury, but like Cusick the 6-foot-6, 260-pound right-hander is far from a significant prospect. Cleveland also saved about $1.5 million in the swap.
As for Wood, he posted a 0.69 ERA in 26 innings for the Yankees in the regular season and has allowed one run in six innings so far this postseason. His contract has a sure-to-be-declined $11 million option for 2011.
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president, Al Avila takes over 0
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 28
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 22
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 89
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 26
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 73
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)