Oct 22, 2010, 1:39 PM EDT
If you’re on the fence about who to root for tonight, this might help:
The Yankees are hoping for two painful, but ultimately successful confrontations with Cliff Lee in the near future: One from 60 feet, six inches tomorrow night, the other across a negotiating table in about six weeks. If all goes perfectly for the Yankees, they would beat Lee in Game 7 of the AL Championship Series and then have him join them in November or December on a free-agent contract.
That’s Joel Sherman. Who’s not at all wrong about that stuff, of course, and whose overall column is pretty astute in handicapping the Cliff Lee market. Key point: how could the Yankees (or anyone else) balk at giving Cliff Lee a contract through his age-37 season when A.J. Burnett is signed through age 36?
But no matter how many good points are made, man, it’s just nothing anyone wants to hear right now.
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 0
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 17
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 20
- Happy 40th Birthday, A-Rod! 43
- Craig Biggio, John Smoltz, Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez inducted into the Hall of Fame 41
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 48
- Mike Trout hits two homers, including a grand slam, to take MLB lead 13
- Zack Greinke’s scoreless innings streak ends at 45 2/3 7
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (156)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)