Oct 22, 2010, 1:39 PM EST
If you’re on the fence about who to root for tonight, this might help:
The Yankees are hoping for two painful, but ultimately successful confrontations with Cliff Lee in the near future: One from 60 feet, six inches tomorrow night, the other across a negotiating table in about six weeks. If all goes perfectly for the Yankees, they would beat Lee in Game 7 of the AL Championship Series and then have him join them in November or December on a free-agent contract.
That’s Joel Sherman. Who’s not at all wrong about that stuff, of course, and whose overall column is pretty astute in handicapping the Cliff Lee market. Key point: how could the Yankees (or anyone else) balk at giving Cliff Lee a contract through his age-37 season when A.J. Burnett is signed through age 36?
But no matter how many good points are made, man, it’s just nothing anyone wants to hear right now.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 5
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 14
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 4
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 1
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 359
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (359)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (73)