Oct 22, 2010, 5:30 PM EST
The forecast isn’t exactly dire — most of the people down in Texas think the game will be played even if it’s delayed a bit — but there’s probably going to be rain tonight for Game 6 of the ALCS. My last check of Weather.com had it as a 40% chance of scattered thunderstorms.
But even if the chance of a postponement is remote, I am trying to think of what I’d do if I was Ron Washington and there was a postponement. Let’s just call it a mental exercise: would I pitch Cliff Lee in a Saturday Game 6, going with my best shot at victory first, or would I stick with Colby Lewis, comforted by the knowledge that I had Cliff Lee in my back pocket for Game 7 on Sunday? Oh, and making sure that, if we did win, I’d have Lee available for Games 1, 4 and maybe even Game 7 of the World Series?
One of my favorite Leo Durocher quotes is “you don’t save a pitcher for tomorrow. Tomorrow it may rain.” But what if it rains today?
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 65
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 31
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 21
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 15
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 144
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 26
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)