Oct 22, 2010, 5:30 PM EST
The forecast isn’t exactly dire — most of the people down in Texas think the game will be played even if it’s delayed a bit — but there’s probably going to be rain tonight for Game 6 of the ALCS. My last check of Weather.com had it as a 40% chance of scattered thunderstorms.
But even if the chance of a postponement is remote, I am trying to think of what I’d do if I was Ron Washington and there was a postponement. Let’s just call it a mental exercise: would I pitch Cliff Lee in a Saturday Game 6, going with my best shot at victory first, or would I stick with Colby Lewis, comforted by the knowledge that I had Cliff Lee in my back pocket for Game 7 on Sunday? Oh, and making sure that, if we did win, I’d have Lee available for Games 1, 4 and maybe even Game 7 of the World Series?
One of my favorite Leo Durocher quotes is “you don’t save a pitcher for tomorrow. Tomorrow it may rain.” But what if it rains today?
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)