Oct 22, 2010, 5:00 PM EDT
You know this is always the case in every city, in every sport prior to a potential clinching game. You just don’t read about it very often:
Boxes of ALCS Championship T-shirts and caps marked “Hold for Rangers Clinch” sit waiting at Academy Sports + Outdoors stores, and employees hope to open them tonight with a Rangers’ win.
At the Academy on Arbrook Boulevard in Arlington, more than 100 big boxes wait in a locked back room, holding about 1,300 men’s and children’s T-shirts and up to 1,000 championship caps.
I know they’re supposed to be destroyed or sent to Haiti or something if things don’t pan out, but I would love to have a collection of losing team’s erroneous championship shirts. On Monday I’d wear Braves 1991 World Champs. On Tuesday, 1992 Champs. Later in the week I’d wear 1996. And 1999.
OK, now I’m just depressed.
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 0
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 2
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case 56
- Rafael Soriano took back all that stuff he said about Bryce Harper 12
- Don Mattingly may be uttering his last words as Dodgers manager 49
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (110)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (70)
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- LIVE: Heat, Pacers go to overtime in Game 1
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games