Oct 22, 2010, 5:00 PM EDT
You know this is always the case in every city, in every sport prior to a potential clinching game. You just don’t read about it very often:
Boxes of ALCS Championship T-shirts and caps marked “Hold for Rangers Clinch” sit waiting at Academy Sports + Outdoors stores, and employees hope to open them tonight with a Rangers’ win.
At the Academy on Arbrook Boulevard in Arlington, more than 100 big boxes wait in a locked back room, holding about 1,300 men’s and children’s T-shirts and up to 1,000 championship caps.
I know they’re supposed to be destroyed or sent to Haiti or something if things don’t pan out, but I would love to have a collection of losing team’s erroneous championship shirts. On Monday I’d wear Braves 1991 World Champs. On Tuesday, 1992 Champs. Later in the week I’d wear 1996. And 1999.
OK, now I’m just depressed.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 7
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (115)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)