Oct 22, 2010, 5:00 PM EDT
You know this is always the case in every city, in every sport prior to a potential clinching game. You just don’t read about it very often:
Boxes of ALCS Championship T-shirts and caps marked “Hold for Rangers Clinch” sit waiting at Academy Sports + Outdoors stores, and employees hope to open them tonight with a Rangers’ win.
At the Academy on Arbrook Boulevard in Arlington, more than 100 big boxes wait in a locked back room, holding about 1,300 men’s and children’s T-shirts and up to 1,000 championship caps.
I know they’re supposed to be destroyed or sent to Haiti or something if things don’t pan out, but I would love to have a collection of losing team’s erroneous championship shirts. On Monday I’d wear Braves 1991 World Champs. On Tuesday, 1992 Champs. Later in the week I’d wear 1996. And 1999.
OK, now I’m just depressed.
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 1
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 47
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 47
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 6
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 57
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (89)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)