Oct 22, 2010, 5:00 PM EST
You know this is always the case in every city, in every sport prior to a potential clinching game. You just don’t read about it very often:
Boxes of ALCS Championship T-shirts and caps marked “Hold for Rangers Clinch” sit waiting at Academy Sports + Outdoors stores, and employees hope to open them tonight with a Rangers’ win.
At the Academy on Arbrook Boulevard in Arlington, more than 100 big boxes wait in a locked back room, holding about 1,300 men’s and children’s T-shirts and up to 1,000 championship caps.
I know they’re supposed to be destroyed or sent to Haiti or something if things don’t pan out, but I would love to have a collection of losing team’s erroneous championship shirts. On Monday I’d wear Braves 1991 World Champs. On Tuesday, 1992 Champs. Later in the week I’d wear 1996. And 1999.
OK, now I’m just depressed.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 20
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (374)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)