Oct 22, 2010, 12:15 PM EDT
Lance Berkman has had a rough week.
First he gashed his left thumb while trying to cut up a credit card, telling reporters “I almost sliced the tip of my thumb off” and “it was gushing blood.” He’s been patching the wound with super-glue in the dugout during games.
Then he took a hard fall after slipping on the warning track while chasing after a foul ball Wednesday, leaving him bruised and sore.
Berkman felt good enough to take batting practice and go through the usual off-day workouts yesterday, and he’s expected to be in the lineup tonight against right-hander Colby Lewis and the Rangers. Berkman has been helpless against lefties this year (and really, since 2007), but he hit .267/.393/.453 versus righties during the regular season.
- 2014 Preview: Chicago Cubs 1
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” 34
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 18
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 60
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 12