Oct 22, 2010, 1:08 AM EDT
The New York Yankees are sick and tired of Cliff Lee.
They’re sick of listening to everyone talk about him. They’re tired of answering questions about how awesome he is. And they’ve certainly had enough of watching him in their nightmares as he bounds off the mound after yet another strikeout, cackling madly to himself as if to say “how can it be this easy?”
The Yankees’ frustration boiled over just a bit in the form of a Nick Swisher mini-rant on Wednesday, when the outfielder became incensed when he overheard a reporter asking a teammate about you-know-who.
“You guys are talking about Cliff Lee?” said Swisher, according to Andrew Marchand of ESPN-New York.”[Expletive], who cares?”
More from Marchand:
As he walked off, Swisher said, “I can’t wait to hit against his [behind].”
Later, when asked about saying this out loud with reporters present, Swisher cut off a question when the words “Cliff Lee” were uttered.
“I’m not talking about Cliff Lee,” Swisher said. “I don’t give a [expletive].”
Oh Nick. Don’t you know that if you insult Lee you’ll only make him angry? (And yes, like Mongo, Lee will park his ox wherever he likes, thank you very much)
Of course, you can understand the Yankees getting tired of the constant Cliff Lee questions, especially when there is this annoying thing called Game 6 that they have to deal with first. Should they find themselves unable to score any runs against Colby Lewis on Friday, the issue will be moot – except for the “Cliff-Lee-in-pinstripes” queries.
As far as Swisher goes, I’m glad he popped off. Maybe he shouldn’t voice such opinions out loud, but the sport would be a lot less fun if everyone just regurgitated Nuke LaLoosh clichés all the time.
And maybe Swisher really can’t wait to face Lee. His career line against the ace left-hander? .320/.419/.640. Wow.
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 0
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 18
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 27
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 349
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 84
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 58
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 149
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (349)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (183)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (161)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)