Oct 22, 2010, 1:08 AM EST
The New York Yankees are sick and tired of Cliff Lee.
They’re sick of listening to everyone talk about him. They’re tired of answering questions about how awesome he is. And they’ve certainly had enough of watching him in their nightmares as he bounds off the mound after yet another strikeout, cackling madly to himself as if to say “how can it be this easy?”
The Yankees’ frustration boiled over just a bit in the form of a Nick Swisher mini-rant on Wednesday, when the outfielder became incensed when he overheard a reporter asking a teammate about you-know-who.
“You guys are talking about Cliff Lee?” said Swisher, according to Andrew Marchand of ESPN-New York.”[Expletive], who cares?”
More from Marchand:
As he walked off, Swisher said, “I can’t wait to hit against his [behind].”
Later, when asked about saying this out loud with reporters present, Swisher cut off a question when the words “Cliff Lee” were uttered.
“I’m not talking about Cliff Lee,” Swisher said. “I don’t give a [expletive].”
Oh Nick. Don’t you know that if you insult Lee you’ll only make him angry? (And yes, like Mongo, Lee will park his ox wherever he likes, thank you very much)
Of course, you can understand the Yankees getting tired of the constant Cliff Lee questions, especially when there is this annoying thing called Game 6 that they have to deal with first. Should they find themselves unable to score any runs against Colby Lewis on Friday, the issue will be moot – except for the “Cliff-Lee-in-pinstripes” queries.
As far as Swisher goes, I’m glad he popped off. Maybe he shouldn’t voice such opinions out loud, but the sport would be a lot less fun if everyone just regurgitated Nuke LaLoosh clichés all the time.
And maybe Swisher really can’t wait to face Lee. His career line against the ace left-hander? .320/.419/.640. Wow.
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 40
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 106
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 18
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Dodgers cut Brian Wilson and his $9.5 million salary 53
- Royals and Alex Rios agree to one-year, $11 million contract 16
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. 95
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (106)
- Jon Lester goes to Cubs for $155 million over six years (99)