Oct 22, 2010, 2:30 PM EDT
This passage about those silly necklaces everyone is wearing is from a series of tweets this afternoon from Dirk “The Garfoose” Hayhurst, Blue Jays minor leaguer and author of the most excellent “Bullpen Diaries Gospels”:
If you’re wondering about the Phiten necklaces you see on your big league starlings these days, Phiten gives them to MLB’rs for free. Do they work? Hell if I know. I’ve never felt any different wearing them and the studies claiming energy balance are privately funded. Basically, it’s an image thing Phiten works to perpetuate on stars. Simple advertising scheme. Results may vary. Got an extra $50- find out. All I’m asking is, whens the last time you were in a health class and the teacher showed you a diagram on energy migration in your body?
Would I still wear them? Of course, all the other cool kids are dong it . . .
But if you’re going to mock those feeble minded folks who would pay $50 for one of those things, be careful: there are apparently a lot of ’em out there. “Phiten titanium necklace” is, far and away, the number one search term landing people at HardballTalk since yesterday afternoon.
Number two, by the way, is “Phillies.” Draw from that what you will.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 0
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 5
- Giants to acquire Mike Leake from Reds 17
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 40
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 11
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 62
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 111
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 73
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)