Oct 22, 2010, 2:30 PM EDT
This passage about those silly necklaces everyone is wearing is from a series of tweets this afternoon from Dirk “The Garfoose” Hayhurst, Blue Jays minor leaguer and author of the most excellent “Bullpen Diaries Gospels”:
If you’re wondering about the Phiten necklaces you see on your big league starlings these days, Phiten gives them to MLB’rs for free. Do they work? Hell if I know. I’ve never felt any different wearing them and the studies claiming energy balance are privately funded. Basically, it’s an image thing Phiten works to perpetuate on stars. Simple advertising scheme. Results may vary. Got an extra $50- find out. All I’m asking is, whens the last time you were in a health class and the teacher showed you a diagram on energy migration in your body?
Would I still wear them? Of course, all the other cool kids are dong it . . .
But if you’re going to mock those feeble minded folks who would pay $50 for one of those things, be careful: there are apparently a lot of ‘em out there. “Phiten titanium necklace” is, far and away, the number one search term landing people at HardballTalk since yesterday afternoon.
Number two, by the way, is “Phillies.” Draw from that what you will.
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 4
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 25
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 219
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 95
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (235)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (86)