Oct 22, 2010, 2:30 PM EST
This passage about those silly necklaces everyone is wearing is from a series of tweets this afternoon from Dirk “The Garfoose” Hayhurst, Blue Jays minor leaguer and author of the most excellent “Bullpen Diaries Gospels”:
If you’re wondering about the Phiten necklaces you see on your big league starlings these days, Phiten gives them to MLB’rs for free. Do they work? Hell if I know. I’ve never felt any different wearing them and the studies claiming energy balance are privately funded. Basically, it’s an image thing Phiten works to perpetuate on stars. Simple advertising scheme. Results may vary. Got an extra $50- find out. All I’m asking is, whens the last time you were in a health class and the teacher showed you a diagram on energy migration in your body?
Would I still wear them? Of course, all the other cool kids are dong it . . .
But if you’re going to mock those feeble minded folks who would pay $50 for one of those things, be careful: there are apparently a lot of ‘em out there. “Phiten titanium necklace” is, far and away, the number one search term landing people at HardballTalk since yesterday afternoon.
Number two, by the way, is “Phillies.” Draw from that what you will.
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 8
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 276
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 16
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training 114
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (276)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)