Oct 22, 2010, 2:29 AM EDT
If New York Yankees starter Phil Hughes needs any help getting through Game 6 against the Texas Rangers on Friday night, CC Sabathia will be there to back him up.
Sabathia, who threw 112 pitches in six innings to help the Yankees to a 7-2 victory on Wednesday in Game 5, says he will be available to pitch in relief on Friday.
Sabathia would normally have thrown a between-starts bullpen session on Friday, but he will rest up instead to be ready for bullpen duty, according to Ed Price of Fanhouse.
“I can probably throw 45 pitches (or) 50 tomorrow,” Sabathia said.
Other than two All-Star Games, Sabathia has never pitched in relief as a professional: minors, majors or postseason.
“Let’s see how he feels tomorrow,” manager Joe Girardi said, “but our plan is that he will be available for us.”
Sabathia has made two starts in the series, allowing five runs in only four innings in Game 1, which the Yankees nonetheless won. The last pitcher to make two starts and a relief appearance in a best-of-seven series, according to Price, was Pedro Martinez for the Boston Red Sox in the 2004 ALCS.
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 0
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 21
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 66
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 28
- Marlins might move in and lower the fences at Marlins Park 26
- Astros beat the suddenly skidding Yankees, top last year’s win total 30
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week 134
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)