The Yankees are going to bring back Joe Girardi

Oct 22, 2010, 10:59 AM EDT

Texas Rangers v New York Yankees, Game 3 Getty Images

That’s what Jon Heyman is reporting, saying that Hal Steinbrenner, Randy Levine and Brian Cashman all like him and want him back. Heyman says that Girardi will get a raise too.

Good move if true. Yeah, there’s been some beefing about the guy lately, but that’s all post-facto stuff from understandably frustrated fans and sports radio people looking for scapegoats. Is he the best manager in the history of forever? Nah, but Girardi has run a pretty drama-free clubhouse for a couple of years now. He gets it right most of the time. Anyone you can name who would be a probable candidate to replace him would represent a huge unknown. You gonna trust Tony Pena with this team? Bobby Valentine?

The rumors about Girardi going to the Cubs or something always seemed to me to be a lot of nothing, borne of someone’s clever discovery that, hey, Girardi is from Illinois and played for the Cubs once, so of course he’d be interested in that job. No one connected to Girardi — and no columnist who has good Yankees sources — ever seriously suggested that he’d go anywhere.

Now, if he’d just let me eat my chalupa in peace . . .

1. BC - Oct 22, 2010 at 11:03 AM

You go for the new Taco Bell XXL Chalupa? How is it?

• doctorfunke - Oct 22, 2010 at 12:58 PM

I actually like that commercial. It’s pretty funny.

Last weekend, I was at a Taco Bell, and a dude had one. As I walked by, he mentioned to his buddy that he was getting full. I immediately looked in the corner to see of Mo was there. Unfortunately, he was not. I hope the guy didn’t just throw it away like a Twins bullpen would.

2. Kevin S. - Oct 22, 2010 at 11:12 AM

I bitch about Girardi’s tactical moves quite a bit, but they’re really not that terrible, compared to a lot of other managers out there. You’re right about the drama-free clubhouse (though that could be winning and the guys they have more than Girardi), but I’d also like to add that he seems to do pretty well at not over-taxing his bullpen. After a dozen years of Joe the Arm Shredder, that’s a huge plus for me.

• bigharold - Oct 22, 2010 at 1:50 PM

Joe the Arm Shredder… I love it.

Actually, his handling of the pen is key. He not only doesn’t burn down the pitcher with the hot hand, he keeps the other guys in the mix. That not only keeps them sharp it allows for a much better understanding of what they are capable of and more importantly what they aren’t. By definition pen pitchers are mostly guys that couldn’t hack as starters because they were limited in some way.

It’s the manager’s job to put the right player in a situation that best gives him the chance to succeed. I think Girardi’s handling of the pen best illustrates that. When compared to his predecessor, however, Girardi seems a mix of Casey Stengel and Albert Einstein.

3. aarcraft - Oct 22, 2010 at 11:56 AM

Foolishness. What has he done? Besides winning a World Series and making it to (at least) the ALCS in his first three years. Guys obviously a bum.

4. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Oct 22, 2010 at 12:42 PM

There should be a clause in his new contract that forces him to whiten his disgusting George Washington teeth.

Three legends off to Cooperstown