Oct 22, 2010, 10:59 AM EST
That’s what Jon Heyman is reporting, saying that Hal Steinbrenner, Randy Levine and Brian Cashman all like him and want him back. Heyman says that Girardi will get a raise too.
Good move if true. Yeah, there’s been some beefing about the guy lately, but that’s all post-facto stuff from understandably frustrated fans and sports radio people looking for scapegoats. Is he the best manager in the history of forever? Nah, but Girardi has run a pretty drama-free clubhouse for a couple of years now. He gets it right most of the time. Anyone you can name who would be a probable candidate to replace him would represent a huge unknown. You gonna trust Tony Pena with this team? Bobby Valentine?
The rumors about Girardi going to the Cubs or something always seemed to me to be a lot of nothing, borne of someone’s clever discovery that, hey, Girardi is from Illinois and played for the Cubs once, so of course he’d be interested in that job. No one connected to Girardi — and no columnist who has good Yankees sources — ever seriously suggested that he’d go anywhere.
Now, if he’d just let me eat my chalupa in peace . . .
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 289
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 67
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (289)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)