Oct 22, 2010, 10:59 AM EDT
That’s what Jon Heyman is reporting, saying that Hal Steinbrenner, Randy Levine and Brian Cashman all like him and want him back. Heyman says that Girardi will get a raise too.
Good move if true. Yeah, there’s been some beefing about the guy lately, but that’s all post-facto stuff from understandably frustrated fans and sports radio people looking for scapegoats. Is he the best manager in the history of forever? Nah, but Girardi has run a pretty drama-free clubhouse for a couple of years now. He gets it right most of the time. Anyone you can name who would be a probable candidate to replace him would represent a huge unknown. You gonna trust Tony Pena with this team? Bobby Valentine?
The rumors about Girardi going to the Cubs or something always seemed to me to be a lot of nothing, borne of someone’s clever discovery that, hey, Girardi is from Illinois and played for the Cubs once, so of course he’d be interested in that job. No one connected to Girardi — and no columnist who has good Yankees sources — ever seriously suggested that he’d go anywhere.
Now, if he’d just let me eat my chalupa in peace . . .
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 44
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 62
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 32
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (124)