Oct 22, 2010, 10:59 AM EST
That’s what Jon Heyman is reporting, saying that Hal Steinbrenner, Randy Levine and Brian Cashman all like him and want him back. Heyman says that Girardi will get a raise too.
Good move if true. Yeah, there’s been some beefing about the guy lately, but that’s all post-facto stuff from understandably frustrated fans and sports radio people looking for scapegoats. Is he the best manager in the history of forever? Nah, but Girardi has run a pretty drama-free clubhouse for a couple of years now. He gets it right most of the time. Anyone you can name who would be a probable candidate to replace him would represent a huge unknown. You gonna trust Tony Pena with this team? Bobby Valentine?
The rumors about Girardi going to the Cubs or something always seemed to me to be a lot of nothing, borne of someone’s clever discovery that, hey, Girardi is from Illinois and played for the Cubs once, so of course he’d be interested in that job. No one connected to Girardi — and no columnist who has good Yankees sources — ever seriously suggested that he’d go anywhere.
Now, if he’d just let me eat my chalupa in peace . . .
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 18
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 29
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 90
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 35
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (90)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)