Oct 22, 2010, 10:59 AM EDT
That’s what Jon Heyman is reporting, saying that Hal Steinbrenner, Randy Levine and Brian Cashman all like him and want him back. Heyman says that Girardi will get a raise too.
Good move if true. Yeah, there’s been some beefing about the guy lately, but that’s all post-facto stuff from understandably frustrated fans and sports radio people looking for scapegoats. Is he the best manager in the history of forever? Nah, but Girardi has run a pretty drama-free clubhouse for a couple of years now. He gets it right most of the time. Anyone you can name who would be a probable candidate to replace him would represent a huge unknown. You gonna trust Tony Pena with this team? Bobby Valentine?
The rumors about Girardi going to the Cubs or something always seemed to me to be a lot of nothing, borne of someone’s clever discovery that, hey, Girardi is from Illinois and played for the Cubs once, so of course he’d be interested in that job. No one connected to Girardi — and no columnist who has good Yankees sources — ever seriously suggested that he’d go anywhere.
Now, if he’d just let me eat my chalupa in peace . . .
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 11
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 63
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 56
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- The Diamondbacks plan to bring back Kirk Gibson for some reason 31
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (125)
- Jayson Werth clocked at 105 m.p.h. in a 55 zone, is charged with reckless driving (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (78)
- A vote for Tom Werner for commissioner is a vote to return to the dark ages (78)