Oct 22, 2010, 2:15 PM EDT
Tim Lincecum threw 104 pitches in last night’s loss to the Phillies, but manager Bruce Bochy said afterward that the reigning back-to-back Cy Young winner could be available out of the bullpen in Game 6 or Game 7 of the NLCS:
I wouldn’t say he’s finished for the series. If needed, it’s one of these series that all hands are on deck and you have them all ready. He’ll have a couple of days off and he’ll be ready to go.
Lincecum said the same about his availability, noting that Saturday will be his normal “bullpen day” and he could skip that with an eye toward throwing an inning or two in Game 6. Roy Halladay presumably wouldn’t be available to do the same because of his groin injury.
In four seasons Lincecum has made just one career appearance as a reliever and that came on April 2, 2008 when the Giants avoided starting him because of a likely rain delay.
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 6
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 30
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 10
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 29
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 19
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 13
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 42
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 14
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (190)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)