Cliff Lee doesn’t care which team he faces in the World Series

Oct 23, 2010, 9:10 AM EDT

Cliff Lee

Or so he tells Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com, anyway:

“I don’t care who we play,” Lee said. “They’re very capable of winning two more games there. If they do, yeah, I’d love to face them. But if it’s not them, I’d love to face the Giants, too. I’m not out for blood, or out to prove something against anybody, or anything like that. I just want to help this team win.

“What’s happened in the past is in the past. I’m not trying to rub anything in. I enjoyed my time there. It was a lot of fun. Great guys over there. I wish them nothing but the best, but if we’re facing them, obviously I’m going to try to beat them.”

I realize that this would be the dominant storyline should the Phillies come back to win the NLCS — and as a baseball fan, it would be a lot of fun to watch, especially if he faces Roy Halladay in Game 1 — but let’s not act like Lee would bring a little something extra to the table against his former team. This guy has an 0.75 ERA and 34/1 K/BB ratio through his first three starts in the playoffs this year. What more can he possibly do?

1. Jonny 5 - Oct 23, 2010 at 12:17 PM

Texas looks scary good right now. They’re hitting so good right now, they may just steamroll anyone who can’t put up a whole bunch of runs. Which is going to take a miracle against one Cliffy Lee. Imagine the guy you trade causes you to lose the World series, the very next season? Talk about Karma being a bitch.
    But let’s not kid ourselves here. The Phillies are one loss from being eliminated. Hopefully by tomorrow that’s still the case. Oswalt never has been beaten at CBP. Even as an Astro. Let’s keep it that way. GO PHILLS!

• Utley's Hair - Oct 23, 2010 at 2:14 PM

You know that if(/hopefully when, provided the bats stay awake-ish and Oswalt’s bullpen trip doesn’t bit them on the ass) Cliffy comes back here, there will be cheers–but then boos, which will prompt columns and blogs galore talking about the Phightins Phans and how we’re not fit to breathe the same air as rats, right?

• 013hip - Oct 23, 2010 at 5:04 PM

Steamroll anyone that can’t put up a bunch of runs??? Tune in tonight and watch the Giant’s. The one they call “ROSS” has been on Fire! and then there’s the rookie………….Buster, BUSTER POSEY!!!! Just a great piece of “Hitting the ball by where it;s pitched” AND …..well, just tune-in tonight because, Gentleman, I think that we are embarking on the “BEST” World Series in a long, long time.
      Texas vs. San Fran.

• Utley's Hair - Oct 23, 2010 at 5:34 PM

You sound like a cross between a game-show host and a wrestling announcer.

• Utley's Hair - Oct 23, 2010 at 5:37 PM

Giants fans!!! LET’S GET READY TO STUMMMMMBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Utley's Hair - Oct 23, 2010 at 2:38 PM

Sager was asking him about that last night, but TBS cut away as Lee was starting to answer. That’s the first time I’ve seen an interview cut off so suddenly like that.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3163)