Oct 23, 2010, 11:02 AM EDT
According to Jane Lee of MLB.com, Athletics’ left-hander Dallas Braden has filed a medical negligence suit against Oakland-based orthopedic surgeon Dr. Thomas Peatman and Webster Orthopedic Medical Group.
The suit, which was filed in Alameda County Superior Court earlier this week, alleges that Peatman severed Braden’s peroneal nerve while attempting to remove a cyst last year, causing permanent nerve damage in his left foot. The 27-year-old left-hander missed the rest of the season after the botched procedure and has pitched on two numb toes ever since. This makes his perfect game no-hitter and 3.50 ERA over 30 starts this season even more remarkable.
According to court documents — you can read all of them here — Braden “experiences numbness and extreme and excessive pain while pitching.” In addition, the complaint claims that “damage, instability and sensitivity of his left foot will cause biomechanical problems with his pitching delivery system, which will likely result in further injury and shortening of his pitching career.”
According to Lee, the A’s also announced that they have parted ways with Webster Orthopedic Medical Group, the team’s longtime medical provider.
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 2
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 2
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 10
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 80
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 93
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (110)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (94)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)