Oct 23, 2010, 11:02 AM EDT
According to Jane Lee of MLB.com, Athletics’ left-hander Dallas Braden has filed a medical negligence suit against Oakland-based orthopedic surgeon Dr. Thomas Peatman and Webster Orthopedic Medical Group.
The suit, which was filed in Alameda County Superior Court earlier this week, alleges that Peatman severed Braden’s peroneal nerve while attempting to remove a cyst last year, causing permanent nerve damage in his left foot. The 27-year-old left-hander missed the rest of the season after the botched procedure and has pitched on two numb toes ever since. This makes his perfect game no-hitter and 3.50 ERA over 30 starts this season even more remarkable.
According to court documents — you can read all of them here — Braden “experiences numbness and extreme and excessive pain while pitching.” In addition, the complaint claims that “damage, instability and sensitivity of his left foot will cause biomechanical problems with his pitching delivery system, which will likely result in further injury and shortening of his pitching career.”
According to Lee, the A’s also announced that they have parted ways with Webster Orthopedic Medical Group, the team’s longtime medical provider.
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 9
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 1
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 11
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 13
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 141
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 14
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (141)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)