Oct 23, 2010, 11:02 AM EST
According to Jane Lee of MLB.com, Athletics’ left-hander Dallas Braden has filed a medical negligence suit against Oakland-based orthopedic surgeon Dr. Thomas Peatman and Webster Orthopedic Medical Group.
The suit, which was filed in Alameda County Superior Court earlier this week, alleges that Peatman severed Braden’s peroneal nerve while attempting to remove a cyst last year, causing permanent nerve damage in his left foot. The 27-year-old left-hander missed the rest of the season after the botched procedure and has pitched on two numb toes ever since. This makes his perfect game no-hitter and 3.50 ERA over 30 starts this season even more remarkable.
According to court documents — you can read all of them here — Braden “experiences numbness and extreme and excessive pain while pitching.” In addition, the complaint claims that “damage, instability and sensitivity of his left foot will cause biomechanical problems with his pitching delivery system, which will likely result in further injury and shortening of his pitching career.”
According to Lee, the A’s also announced that they have parted ways with Webster Orthopedic Medical Group, the team’s longtime medical provider.
- Blue Jays acquire Josh Donaldson in a trade with the Athletics 26
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 87
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 164
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (164)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)