Oct 23, 2010, 1:29 PM EDT
Randy Winn is focused on going home and spending some time with his family right now, but the veteran outfielder told B.J. Rains of FOXSportsMidwest.com that he would like to play again next season.
“I would like to find a team that would like me to play for them, that’s going to be my first thing,” Winn said. “I don’t know what my options are going to be. I hope some organization thinks I can come in and help. That’s what I’m hoping for.”
Winn was a massive disappointment after signing a one-year, $1.1 million contract with the Yankees in January. He was designated for assignment in May and latched on with the Cardinals the rest of the way. The 36-year-old outfielder batted just .239/.307/.356 with four home runs, 25 RBI and six stolen bases in 233 total plate appearances.
The switch-hitter used to be a legitimate force against left-handed pitching, but his production has slipped in a big way in that area over the past two seasons. Winn could at least hide some of his shortcomings in the past by contributing defensively, but he regressed significantly this season, according to Ultimate Zone Rating on Fangraphs.
Winn has appeared in 1,717 games without making the playoffs, the most of any active player. He’ll probably need to earn a spot on a team out of spring training to have any chance of finally getting there.
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 9
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 46
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 24
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (109)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)