Oct 23, 2010, 1:29 PM EDT
Randy Winn is focused on going home and spending some time with his family right now, but the veteran outfielder told B.J. Rains of FOXSportsMidwest.com that he would like to play again next season.
“I would like to find a team that would like me to play for them, that’s going to be my first thing,” Winn said. “I don’t know what my options are going to be. I hope some organization thinks I can come in and help. That’s what I’m hoping for.”
Winn was a massive disappointment after signing a one-year, $1.1 million contract with the Yankees in January. He was designated for assignment in May and latched on with the Cardinals the rest of the way. The 36-year-old outfielder batted just .239/.307/.356 with four home runs, 25 RBI and six stolen bases in 233 total plate appearances.
The switch-hitter used to be a legitimate force against left-handed pitching, but his production has slipped in a big way in that area over the past two seasons. Winn could at least hide some of his shortcomings in the past by contributing defensively, but he regressed significantly this season, according to Ultimate Zone Rating on Fangraphs.
Winn has appeared in 1,717 games without making the playoffs, the most of any active player. He’ll probably need to earn a spot on a team out of spring training to have any chance of finally getting there.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 64
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 50
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)