Oct 23, 2010, 1:29 PM EDT
Randy Winn is focused on going home and spending some time with his family right now, but the veteran outfielder told B.J. Rains of FOXSportsMidwest.com that he would like to play again next season.
“I would like to find a team that would like me to play for them, that’s going to be my first thing,” Winn said. “I don’t know what my options are going to be. I hope some organization thinks I can come in and help. That’s what I’m hoping for.”
Winn was a massive disappointment after signing a one-year, $1.1 million contract with the Yankees in January. He was designated for assignment in May and latched on with the Cardinals the rest of the way. The 36-year-old outfielder batted just .239/.307/.356 with four home runs, 25 RBI and six stolen bases in 233 total plate appearances.
The switch-hitter used to be a legitimate force against left-handed pitching, but his production has slipped in a big way in that area over the past two seasons. Winn could at least hide some of his shortcomings in the past by contributing defensively, but he regressed significantly this season, according to Ultimate Zone Rating on Fangraphs.
Winn has appeared in 1,717 games without making the playoffs, the most of any active player. He’ll probably need to earn a spot on a team out of spring training to have any chance of finally getting there.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 36
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 41
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 55
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)