Oct 23, 2010, 12:43 PM EDT
UPDATE: John Farrell informed Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe via text message this morning that “nothing is official” regarding his hiring as the Blue Jays’ new manager. All indications are pointing in that direction, though.
8:43 AM: One source told Alex Speier of WEEI.com that “it would be surprising” if Farrell turned down the job. Barring a breakdown in negotiations, look for an official announcement before the World Series begins on Wednesday.
9:26 PM, Friday: We hinted at the possibility yesterday and now it appears that the Blue Jays have come to a decision on a replacement for Cito Gaston.
Multiple industry sources tell Sean McAdam of CSNNE.com that Red Sox pitching coach John Farrell has been offered the Blue Jays’ manager job. The only thing that stands in the way of making this official is for the two sides to agree on a contract.
McAdam reported earlier today that Red Sox third base coach DeMarlo Hale and Sandy Alomar Jr. were informed that they were out of the running for the job. By process of elimination, it looks like the decision ultimately came down to Farrell and Blue Jays third base Brian Butterfield.
Farrell has no previous managerial experience, but he has served as Red Sox pitching coach since 2007 and previously worked as the Director of Player Development with the Indians from 2001-06.
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 6
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 75
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 77
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 102
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (102)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)
- Jonathan Papelbon blows save, gets ejected for making rude gesture at booing crowd (77)