The Giants win the pennant! The Giants win the pennant!

Oct 23, 2010, 11:40 PM EDT

San Francisco Giants v Philadelphia Phillies, Game 6 Getty Images

Sorry, I just always wanted to say that.

But they did, and now we’re on to a Rangers-Giants World Series. It will be the fourth time in 90 years that two teams who have never won the World Series (at least in their current cities) have faced one another in the Fall Classic. 2002, 1992 and 1920 were the others (thanks Crank!). It will also guarantee our sixth straight year with a different champion in baseball and our ninth different champion in ten years. But, yeah, baseball has a parity problem.

As for the game: maybe the most exciting poorly-played game I’ve ever seen. Not terribly poorly, mind you. But there were so, so many runners left on base. So many missed opportunities. So many big name players who didn’t come up big. Mostly in the red pinstripes. Frequently Ryan Howard, it must be said. OK, maybe that’s not poor play, but the nervous edge I had about me all game was borne almost totally from the suspense of “when are one of these teams going to do something?!”

Finally it was Juan Uribe who broke through with an eighth inning home run. Not a rocket — indeed, a home run that would have been a fly out in many parks — but ’twas enough. ‘Twould serve.

At that point the excitement only ratcheted up even more. Tim Lincecum’s relief appearance in the eighth, in particular. I didn’t like the move on an objective level. He had thrown nearly 100 pitches 48 hours prior, and even if it was his day to throw between starts, there’s a difference between a bullpen side session and six outs from the World Series. Still, I desperately wanted the move to work because, hey, The Freak coming up big there would have been high drama. He didn’t, allowing two singles before giving way to Brian Wilson, but it was enough to pique our interest even more.

Wilson held. He bent in the ninth, allowing three men to reach — one being erased on a fielder’s choice — but locked down the pennant by retiring Ryan Howard looking. Which — with all due respect for the big man’s skills — was quite appropriate given how his postseason has gone.

The Giants win the pennant. They go home to a heroes’ welcome in San Francisco and a few days off before facing Texas in the World Series starting on Wednesday.  Fantastic.

1. Chris Fiorentino - Oct 23, 2010 at 11:47 PM

Congrats to the Giants. I was wrong. 106 days until pitchers and catchers. See ya!!!!

2. Richard In Big D - Oct 23, 2010 at 11:48 PM

Isn’t it interesting how both the Yankees and Phils season’s both ended exactly the same way: with their biggest of bats lookong at strike 3. Also, don’t let it be lost that this fall classic is a rematch of the first ever Interleague game, way back on June 12, 1997.

• Utley's Hair - Oct 24, 2010 at 12:23 AM

Who cares about the first interleague game?

• Chris Fiorentino - Oct 24, 2010 at 12:29 AM

Wait, are you questioning Dick in Big D? How dare you disagree with somethign he said or question his superiority? You pathetic moron.

• granted42 - Oct 24, 2010 at 1:00 AM

As I recall, the Giants won that game.

3. Utley's Hair - Oct 24, 2010 at 12:08 AM

I posted this on the other one, but I’ll put it over here as well, but with an addition. God Schmuck and McCarebear are possibly the most horrendous broadcasters in all of sports. Unfortunately, I won’t get to listen to Franzke and LA for the WS.

I’m eff-ing pissed. Failures in offense…failures in defense…the only thing that did NOT fail was the pitching, which kept them in striking range, but 8-for-45 RISP?!?!?!? WTF?!?!?!? So, Cholly, what do you think Milt Thompson is doing right now? This sucks so bad.

Congratulations to the Dwarves, but eight friggin HBPs? Totally uncalled for. Ordinarily, I go with NL loyalty, but go Cliffy, Hamilton and the Walkers–and I guess Frenchie, but that is only by default.

This sucks bad.

• Chris Fiorentino - Oct 24, 2010 at 12:15 AM

Quite simply, the Phillies 2010 season can be wrapped up in two words. Pathetic. Failure. That’s it. I don’t care about best record. I don’t care about injuries. They had the best pitching, the best hitting, and the most intangibles, and they lost 3 one-run games to an inferior team who wanted it more than they did.

The 2010 Phillies are a classic example of a team that is too full of itself and couldn’t take the pressure. Ryan Howard gets 2 hits, but ONCE AGAIN CAN’T GET THE HIT WITH RISP!!! Hey Ryan…swing away!!!!

Enjoy the World Series. I won’t see a single pitch. 106 days to pitchers and catchers.

• Richard In Big D - Oct 24, 2010 at 12:17 AM

Does this really mean that we don’t have to see any of your idiotic rantings until February? How refreshing!

• Jonny 5 - Oct 24, 2010 at 12:19 AM

Dude, your boyfriend will be pitching!

• Chris Fiorentino - Oct 24, 2010 at 12:22 AM

LOLZ Jonny. I won’t be able to watch. It’s too painful. I’m watching Old School for the millionth time now to try to laugh. Between the Phillies losing, and dipshit fuckwads like Dick from Big D who post dumb personal shit about me because I have a different opinion than they do…it’s just a tough night.

• Jonny 5 - Oct 24, 2010 at 12:31 AM

Well, it sucks. But that’s how the game is. There are losers every night. Hey, I’m not upset about the Phills not making it to the WS too bad. We aren’t like Yankee fans already are we?? They weren’t at their best and SF was. Dems da breaks. I will be watching Texas Steamroll the living shit out of SF though, and i’ll enjoy it. See SF won’t be able to put up 4-5 runs a night like Texas is doing right now.

• Chris Fiorentino - Oct 24, 2010 at 12:35 AM

I felt this way in 2007 when the Phillies got swept out by the Rockies and last year when they lost to the Yankers. It’s not feeling entitled…just feeling fanatical. It’s where the word “fan” came from anyway, right? Besides, I’m more of a Phillies fan than a baseball fan anyway. If I had to root for someone, though, it would be for my “boyfriend” as you subtlety put it. Greatest. Postseason. Pitcher. Ever. Maybe I’ll sneak a peek at game 1, just to see how he handles Cody Ruth.

• Utley's Hair - Oct 24, 2010 at 12:43 AM

This effing blows. But there is one mildly acceptable thing here–Schmuck and McCarebear are denied one more game of incessant nonsensical banter. So…there’s that…right? Yeah…that doesn’t help…

• Jonny 5 - Oct 24, 2010 at 12:20 AM

All I have left is” Go Cliff!”

4. mcannan4547 - Oct 24, 2010 at 12:10 AM

this is cool. according to the 4 letter this is the world series that couldnt happen. or shouldnt happen. but either way this is great. i love it when the 4 letter is wrong. i work in the late afternoon so i watch 1st take. this is great.

• Richard In Big D - Oct 24, 2010 at 12:15 AM

4 letter? Too inside for me. What does it mean?

• Chris Fiorentino - Oct 24, 2010 at 12:16 AM

ESPN is what I would guess.

5. Jonny 5 - Oct 24, 2010 at 12:17 AM

It’s sooo going to suck rooting for an Al team this season…. Thank god there’s only one series where this will have to take place. The Giant played just a little better. A little was all it took with little offense from the Phills. Gotta say i now have a new team to hate. Those shitheads from SF……

• Utley's Hair - Oct 24, 2010 at 12:29 AM

I absolutely REFUSE to root for the R—— word–especially during Flyers season. But no way in HELL am I pulling for the Dwarves. Eight effing HBPs!!!!! Chuck should’ve put in Herndon to plunk the hell out of SOMEbody. GO WALKERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Jonny 5 - Oct 24, 2010 at 12:37 AM

LOL!! I’m hoping Cliff gets his ring. He deserves it. SF was plunking wayyy too much. And it wasn’t really reciprocated besides Ross getting it from Moose.

• Utley's Hair - Oct 24, 2010 at 12:52 AM

It looks like it was a good night for orange and black in South Philly–Fly Guys torched the Leafs. Yeah…that STILL doesn’t help….

• Chris Fiorentino - Oct 24, 2010 at 12:55 AM

LOL Utley…no it doesn’t help.

• Utley's Hair - Oct 24, 2010 at 1:08 AM

The Phightins are costing me a lot in beer tonight.

• gogigantos - Oct 24, 2010 at 7:05 AM

why wasn’t Oswalt tossed after hitting Uribe, had been warned and clearly retaliating,,,

• Utley's Hair - Oct 24, 2010 at 11:59 PM

And what exactly made it clear retaliation? What was obvious about it was that the umpire decided that it was NOT intentional, ergo, no ejection. You really thing Oswalt wants to throw an extra baserunner out there in a 2-2 game? Not to mention that the Dwarves plunked Phightins eight friggin times. That’s just ridiculous.

6. apbaguy - Oct 24, 2010 at 12:42 AM

Well, I hope none of the Gigantes pitchers take a shot at Josh or Nelson. There might be some serious retaliation from the Rangers bullpen.

That said, it’s Selig’s nightmare series, as televisions all over the Northeast switch to reruns of “Blossom” and “Victory Garden”. Too bad too, because this shapes up as a classic pitching (Gigantes) vs hitting (Tejas) matchup. Except: The Rangers can pitch too. Cliff Lee is the best pitcher right now between the two teams. Matt Cain is just the kind of guy that the Rangers can pound. And Sanchez must show much more mound composure than he did in the NLCS. Likewise, Lewis has to maintain his escape artist mojo, and CJ has to overcome his own nerves which diminished his effectiveness in his last start.

The Rangers hitters are going well now. In the end, they could make the difference. I see a splash hit in Josh’s near future.

And yes, Phillies fans, Giants fans are insufferable. Reason Number 2 why I pull for Oakland. And Texas.

• Old Gator - Oct 24, 2010 at 9:04 AM

It has the makings of a terrific series, and in a lot of ways it’s the inverse of the Feelies-Jints: a power packed, pitching-loaded team in the Rangers and a scrappy, pitching-loaded, hungry team in the Jints. Let the northeast watch whatever it wants, and let Bud Light lose as much sleep as might – although the drooling buffoon might consider talking in his sleep and boring himself back into REM when necessary.

I’m traveling again – Austin, this time – and I’ll be somewhere in Texas all week so there ought to be one or two raucous sports sports or barbecue joints with ad hoc HD screen set up to inhabit in the evenings while this is going on.

APBA, report faithfully on the local ethos despite your antipathy to the Bondsian apologists. I’ll try to provide a metaphysics for the Tejan experience. Should be fun.

• apbaguy - Oct 24, 2010 at 11:45 AM

You know I will. I have a perfect disguise: LL Bean Orange fitness fleece with Orange Gigantes hat. I can creep and crawl through the Sam Spade fog and eavesdrop painful Gigantes fan conversations, then mock and deride them for all to enjoy.

Have fun in Austin, by far my favorite city in Texas. If you can do ribs, give Rudy’s a shot. And don’t forget the nightlife. Are the CJ’s playing there?

• Old Gator - Oct 24, 2010 at 9:36 PM

Heh heh, not this time. Matter of fact they’re heading to Europe for a couple of weeks; I have urged my daughter, who lives in London, to try and catch them. The music down here in Austin is a little different than theirs – lyrics like, “When ya leave me, walk backerds, so ah thinks you’re comin’ in,” or “My baby done left me so I hit ‘er in the mouth.” You know. Tea Party music.

I’m going to just relax for a couple of days, put the finishing touches on this Blood Meridian 25th Anniversary conference, eat some of the bestest barbecue this side of the chronosynclastic infundibulum, and see if the spirits of my Ouija Scrabble board can spell out the name of the next manager of the Feesh. And they’re the ones to do it, seeing as he’s probably already dead.

7. gogigantos - Oct 24, 2010 at 12:45 AM

Oh soooo sweet! Giants battle the kings and come out on top. Extra sweet that all these Phillies fans, so cock sure of themselves and their predestined team, must eat crow. Classless bunch of pouty sour babies you all are, hope it tastes good all that bile. A tip of my cap to the Phillies, a proud and strong team that battled hard to the end. On to Texas. I hope all the East Coast turns it off and misses some more good ball. Go Giants.

• Chris Fiorentino - Oct 24, 2010 at 12:52 AM

All you cockroaches coming out of the woodwork is the worst part of the loss. You guys are almost as pathetic as the Phillies were this series…almost.

• gogigantos - Oct 24, 2010 at 7:03 AM

this is one very happy pathetic cockroach enjoying your grief C. To all the Phillies fans who appreciate the great run they have been on and love their team, win or lose, hats off to ya. The Phillies were the team to beat after a long struggle of a year to get to the NLCS healthy and feeling good. In the series Howard seemed the only hitter really dialed in at all, he hit the ball well and the Giants pitching did well to limit the damage he did. Suffer if you must, rant if you will, it was a good year for the Phillies. Weakened by a front office brain lapse in the offseason, this was a strong team at the end. Maybe if Lee hadn’t been tossed off,,,,, still “the best rotation”,,,, came down to it, the Giants pitched a little better front to back and hit just a bit more when it counted. MMM those were all good games and this pathetic cockroach is glad we are gonna get a shot at Texa, feel it is deserved, knowing it irks one C Phillies fan who I’ve had to read all season is just a tiny thing that makes it all a bit better. if that is insuferable, I’m OK with that :)

• Chris Fiorentino's Rash - Oct 24, 2010 at 11:44 AM

The Giants are pathetic cockroaches for coming out of the woodwork and beating the Phillies

• ificandream - Oct 25, 2010 at 12:24 AM

Chris, your whining makes me feel even better than I’m watching my team in the World Series and you’re not. I’d say the lowest form of life is the Phillies fans who can’t man up and take the fact their team, a good team, did not play well. Are the Phillies the better team? Simple: No. They didn’t win.

8. mangothefruit - Oct 24, 2010 at 12:47 AM

Craig, please don’t tell me you’ve bought into the whole ‘NO RBIS FOR HOWARD’ thing. He had more hits and got on base more than any Phillie hitter this series, it’s not his fault no-one else was ever on base. Just because Joe Buck and Tim McCarver keep repeating something doesn’t make it true, surely you would know that.

• Chris Fiorentino - Oct 24, 2010 at 12:51 AM

I am the BIGGEST Ryan Howard fan there is, but they guy spit the bit when the game was on the line. He got all his hits with no men in scoring position. That’s why he had no RBIs. He came up with 2 men on base and struck out almost every time. Sure, a two out double with nobody on is nice. BUt if you can even pull a ground ball to the right side of the infield with a man on 2nd and nobody out, you deserve to be ripped, I don’t care if you hit .500 with nobody on base. And the last at bat, with two men on and two outs, was just the icing on the cake…swing away, Ryan.

9. jhu1997 - Oct 24, 2010 at 3:06 AM

I can’t believe they won.

10. proudlycanadian - Oct 24, 2010 at 10:42 AM

I feel sorry for Doc. He is a class act. However, I would not be surprised if the Jays make the World Series before he does.

11. sailcat54 - Oct 24, 2010 at 2:22 PM

You know what’s even better for life-long Giants fans than beating the Fillies? Listening to the high whining sound they make as they spit out feathers when they finish eating crow!

This will be a great World Series for baseball fans and for the cry babies who will be watching reruns of Sex in the City while rest of us watch the games: Waaaaaaaaaaah!!!

See y’all Wednesday!

12. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Oct 25, 2010 at 9:58 AM

I’m so glad I saved reading this until this wonderful Monday morning.

Do Royals or A's have the edge tonight?
  1. D. Jeter (3330)